Hughesnet Community

Disable HTML5 Autoplay (and downloading) in FireFox Quantum 58.0?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Disable HTML5 Autoplay (and downloading) in FireFox Quantum 58.0?

I was running Firefox version 56.0.2 but today I updated my browser to Firefox Quantum, version 58.0 and for the life of me, I can't figure up how to disable the HTML Autoplay or disable any video content from automatically downloading...for example, websites like CNN, or other sites that will immediatley start downloading the video feed.

I had my old version of Firefox set up perfectly using a variety of add-ons that allowed me to view most websites without any video content from that site from automatically downloading and playing.

For some reason they don't seem to work and/or are considered 'legacy' and are not compatible with the new version of firefox.

Can someone perhaps walk me through what all I need to do to set up this new browser version so that  it too doesn't start downloading any and all video content without my permission?

If worse comes to worse, I'll just uninstall this version and go back to the older one...but really don't want to do that.

Many MANY thanks in advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MarkJFine@alfresco@Reggie

*happy dance*

I do believe I have solved my issue at preventing video content from automatically 'downloading' in it's entirety...that and auto playing, lol

so, I found another add-on that IS compatible with FireFox Quantum, called Flash Block (Plus).

I downloaded this add-on and have been playing with it for around 30 minutes now, testing it out on a variety of websites that are well known for automatically streaming/downloading video content (again..just an example, CNN)

Untitled.png

so now, if I visit a site and notice the video feed automatically trying to download, I can simply add it to the flash block list, and any future content appearing within that domain will be halted.

Saving a little data, one website at a time Smiley Tongue

It adds up quickly..

oh yeah, I went ahead and updated back to the Firefox Quantum version 58.0 (64 bit) and I still have the Disable HTML5 Autoplay add-on activated as well.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
MarkJFine
Professor

The only place I see something like that now is in the plugins. For example, where the Flash plugin goes, you can tell it to "ask first" before automatically letting it run a Shockwave Flash item.

But yeah, other than that, I can't find the place where stupid autoplay things are disabled went either. They drive me nuts. Most considerate sites will at least not play the audio until you roll your mouse over it. Apparently ESPN is not one of those sites.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

most of the sites I visit, especially news & sports websites (CNN, FoxNews, ESPN etc), will automatically start downloading any/all video feed...so frustrating not being able to prevent this from happening with this new version of Firefox...and even more so that half my add-ons are no longer compatible.

Simple solution for me, at least for the time being...uninstall and go back to the 56.02.2 (64 bit)

Thanks anyways..I'll keep searching in the hopes of finding a permanent solution before installing the new Quantum version again.

I won't comment too much about the politics of CNN or Fox News, but I'm glad to see you're not stuck to one or the other of those heavily polarized 'news' sources.

ESPN also used to be a good source for sport and I still respect Bob Ley for the footie and other things. They have also been sinking lower and lower towards the lowest common denominator to grab ratings for over a decade now.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

I don't play for either side of the table..thus the reason I named both sources so as not to show any kind of favorism.

I just want to be able to pull up the news headlines, or ANYTHING for that matter, without any accompanying video content that may show up on that page, from automatically downloading. Even if it doesn't automatically play, the content will still download regardless and that's precious data that I don't want to be using...I only have a 10GB plan.

I've been limiting my exposure to mostly 'text only' websites to save my data until I can figure up a fix on how to stop these autoplay video clips from downloading.

Will have to look at perhaps other browsers...or do they all do this nowadays?

@bare65

I hear ya on the news thing. Same here.

The issue with autoplay is because they generate unreal revenue for the website, especially if it's advertising. The RPM on those things is incredible over static or rotating images. As long as those rates continue, and as long as that's the only source of revenue for those sites, I'm certain we'll see more and more of them... unfortunately.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I'm not sure if this will help. I have the newest version  of  Firefox 58.0. I have Gen4 using Win7.  The "Disable HTML5 Autoplay works fine. Just a thought  maybe a Windows Or Gen 5 problem.

I see no option for "Disable HTML5 Autoplay".

Is this an external plugin or add-on?

Answer my own question: Yes it is: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disable-autoplay/

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

It is  an add-on.

Thanks for the link. You guys are making me lazy, I was just about to search for it.

@Reggie

Perhaps it is a windows thing??

super frustrating because this add-on used to work perfectly, but now, even running firefox 56.0.2 version, it is no longer working.

When I say no longer working...here's what I mean.

BEFORE this add-on would not only prevent video from automatically starting/playing, but it would also prevent video from downloading in it's entirety.

**note the difference here between automatically playing...and automatically downloading**

NOW...while this add-on still stops video from automatically playing..it still allows the video file to automatically download (the actual file)

In order to play the video, you simply click on it...but by then, the damage is already done (or in the process of being done if your download speeds are super slow, lol) meaning the amount of data used to download the video has already occured.

Hope I'm making sense...

i'm hoping to find something...ANYTHING that will prevent BOTH the auto playing, and auto downloading of video content.

Maybe the pre-loading option is broken.

Or, maybe something in Gen5's Web Acceleration is already pre-loading it?

@MarkJFine@alfresco@Reggie

*happy dance*

I do believe I have solved my issue at preventing video content from automatically 'downloading' in it's entirety...that and auto playing, lol

so, I found another add-on that IS compatible with FireFox Quantum, called Flash Block (Plus).

I downloaded this add-on and have been playing with it for around 30 minutes now, testing it out on a variety of websites that are well known for automatically streaming/downloading video content (again..just an example, CNN)

Untitled.png

so now, if I visit a site and notice the video feed automatically trying to download, I can simply add it to the flash block list, and any future content appearing within that domain will be halted.

Saving a little data, one website at a time Smiley Tongue

It adds up quickly..

oh yeah, I went ahead and updated back to the Firefox Quantum version 58.0 (64 bit) and I still have the Disable HTML5 Autoplay add-on activated as well.

Even better. I'll check it out. Thanks.

For Flash there's also Tools -> Add-Ons -> Plugins (there's also an option to Never Activate):
Untitled.jpg

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I use Chrome, and it was nice when it used to give you control over plugins.  The auto playing videos drive me nuts.  I avoid them like the plague.  

Awesome, thanks for the info. I installed it immediately.