cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable HTML5 Autoplay (and downloading) in FireFox Quantum 58.0?

alfresco
Senior

Re: Disable HTML5 Autoplay (and downloading) in FireFox Quantum 58.0?

Thanks for the link. You guys are making me lazy, I was just about to search for it.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Reggie

Perhaps it is a windows thing??

super frustrating because this add-on used to work perfectly, but now, even running firefox 56.0.2 version, it is no longer working.

When I say no longer working...here's what I mean.

BEFORE this add-on would not only prevent video from automatically starting/playing, but it would also prevent video from downloading in it's entirety.

**note the difference here between automatically playing...and automatically downloading**

NOW...while this add-on still stops video from automatically playing..it still allows the video file to automatically download (the actual file)

In order to play the video, you simply click on it...but by then, the damage is already done (or in the process of being done if your download speeds are super slow, lol) meaning the amount of data used to download the video has already occured.

Hope I'm making sense...

i'm hoping to find something...ANYTHING that will prevent BOTH the auto playing, and auto downloading of video content.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Maybe the pre-loading option is broken.

Or, maybe something in Gen5's Web Acceleration is already pre-loading it?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
bare65
Advanced Tutor

@MarkJFine@alfresco@Reggie

*happy dance*

I do believe I have solved my issue at preventing video content from automatically 'downloading' in it's entirety...that and auto playing, lol

so, I found another add-on that IS compatible with FireFox Quantum, called Flash Block (Plus).

I downloaded this add-on and have been playing with it for around 30 minutes now, testing it out on a variety of websites that are well known for automatically streaming/downloading video content (again..just an example, CNN)

Untitled.png

so now, if I visit a site and notice the video feed automatically trying to download, I can simply add it to the flash block list, and any future content appearing within that domain will be halted.

Saving a little data, one website at a time Smiley Tongue

It adds up quickly..

oh yeah, I went ahead and updated back to the Firefox Quantum version 58.0 (64 bit) and I still have the Disable HTML5 Autoplay add-on activated as well.

View solution in original post

alfresco
Senior

Even better. I'll check it out. Thanks.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

For Flash there's also Tools -> Add-Ons -> Plugins (there's also an option to Never Activate):
Untitled.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I use Chrome, and it was nice when it used to give you control over plugins.  The auto playing videos drive me nuts.  I avoid them like the plague.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro