Hughesnet Community

Disable HTML5 Autoplay (and downloading) in FireFox Quantum 58.0?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Disable HTML5 Autoplay (and downloading) in FireFox Quantum 58.0?

I was running Firefox version 56.0.2 but today I updated my browser to Firefox Quantum, version 58.0 and for the life of me, I can't figure up how to disable the HTML Autoplay or disable any video content from automatically downloading...for example, websites like CNN, or other sites that will immediatley start downloading the video feed.

I had my old version of Firefox set up perfectly using a variety of add-ons that allowed me to view most websites without any video content from that site from automatically downloading and playing.

For some reason they don't seem to work and/or are considered 'legacy' and are not compatible with the new version of firefox.

Can someone perhaps walk me through what all I need to do to set up this new browser version so that  it too doesn't start downloading any and all video content without my permission?

If worse comes to worse, I'll just uninstall this version and go back to the older one...but really don't want to do that.

Many MANY thanks in advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MarkJFine@alfresco@Reggie

*happy dance*

I do believe I have solved my issue at preventing video content from automatically 'downloading' in it's entirety...that and auto playing, lol

so, I found another add-on that IS compatible with FireFox Quantum, called Flash Block (Plus).

I downloaded this add-on and have been playing with it for around 30 minutes now, testing it out on a variety of websites that are well known for automatically streaming/downloading video content (again..just an example, CNN)

Untitled.png

so now, if I visit a site and notice the video feed automatically trying to download, I can simply add it to the flash block list, and any future content appearing within that domain will be halted.

Saving a little data, one website at a time Smiley Tongue

It adds up quickly..

oh yeah, I went ahead and updated back to the Firefox Quantum version 58.0 (64 bit) and I still have the Disable HTML5 Autoplay add-on activated as well.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16