Full PC Backup Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricky
Tutor

Full PC Backup Software

I am looking for software to make a complete backup of my PC to my external hard drive. I had Acronis and it failed me when I needed it, so that is out. Anyone using something that they can suggest I look into?

Ricky

28 REPLIES 28
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I suspect something is wrong somewhere if your downloads are always failing like that... I would caution against getting Win10 from anywhere but Microsoft.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Ricky

Like Corrosive, I would NOT recommend downloading Windows 10 from anywhere other than Microsoft.  You never really know for sure what you are getting if you download it from somewhere else, nor is it definite that it is the latest incarnation.  

As for the updates continuing to fail.  Wow.  That's really too bad.  Lots of headaches in addition to the work, I'm sure.  

Perhaps with Gen5 you will have better luck downloading Windows 10 from Microsoft.  If you have the means to download it using a different device and write it to DVD or USB flash drive, I would do that, being that the device in question seems to be having such a difficult time downloading anything from Microsoft.  

Good luck and I hope the Gen5 install goes well for you.   

Gen 5 installed and rocking.

Windows 10 downloaded and installing.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Windows 10 installed.

Checking for updates look normal with no issues.

Gen 5 still rocking.

Life is good.

Confirmed..... All is good.

I am back to running safe and at full speed.

Thank you to all who gave me suggestions.

GabeU

@Ricky

Great to hear it!  

So this is another mark on the chalkboard to suggest that the slow Microsoft downloads, or even the inability to do so, is related to Ge4.  But, what it is about Gen4 is the question.  As time goes on, I'm beginning to wonder if it has to do with the same thing that can cause problems with streaming.  Many times the speed is there, but streaming still doesn't seem to work correctly, and I'm thinking that it may very well have to do with the speed not being "steady" due to congestion.  

When I would get a good speed result when I had Gen4, even thought the speed was good the graph showing the "steadiness" of the speed looked like jagged mountains, whereas the graph ffrom a speed test with Gen5 is much more smooth.  This, of course, is most likely due to congestion.  And I think it's possible that Microsoft's servers are sensitive to this, and maybe even more sensitive with the latency added into the mix.  

With regard to Windows 10, if you aren't already aware, make sure that "Updates from more than one place" is, at least, set to "PC's on my local network."  DO NOT leave it set on "PC's on my local network, And PC's on the Internet,"  which is the default setting.  This setting is really BAD.  This may use ALL of your data before you realize what is going on.  If you don't have a second or more Windows 10 PC's networked, then completely turn off "Updates from more than one place."  

Again, glad to hear Gen5 is working well and it allowed you to upgrade properly.  

I just checked that settings and it was already off. Not sure if they changed that setting default or not.

Thanks for the tip!

GabeU

@Ricky wrote:

I just checked that settings and it was already off. Not sure if they changed that setting default or not.

Thanks for the tip!

That's VERY good.  That setting alone can use so much data.  Perhaps enough people complained that Microsoft actually did something decent for once and changed the default setting.  For them to basically use our bandwidth to share updates with everyone on the net was quite ridiculous.  

Edit:  BTW, I updated my Windows 10 laptop the other evening, and though it was only about 100MB, it went VERY quickly.  With Gen4 this most likely would have taken quite some time.  I'm beginning to think more and more that Gen5 is definitely making a difference with Microsoft updates.