Hughesnet Community

How do you disconnect Dish Hopper from HT2000w wifi?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

How do you disconnect Dish Hopper from HT2000w wifi?

Connecting our Dish Hopper to the HT2000w via wifi...super easy, no problems.

but disconnecting it, and keeping it disconnected so that it doesn't automatically re-connect when wifi is turned back on....well, I have yet to figure up how to do that and as such, I'm having to change the password on the HT2000w wifi end so that the Dish Hopper doesn't automatically connect....which it does each time if the password remains the same.

surely there is an easier way to disconnect from wifi and keep it disconnected via the Dish remote?

Does anyone know how to do this, and if so, would you mind walking me through the steps?

With our PS4, there is an option under the PS4 settings to prevent the game console from automatically connecting to the wifi so that even if it detects the wifi, it will not automatically connect without permission.

I was hoping to find a similar option under the Dish settings, but I've looked everywhere under the settings menu via the Dish remote and can't seem to find one.

I've only connected the Hopper to the HT2000w twice since we got Dish installed about 8 months ago...but it's such a pain in the butt having to change the password in order to ensure that the Hopper isn't going to automatically re-connect by itself that we have yet to really enjoy all of the Hopper / OnDemand features. I was really hoping to use our 50 GB 'bonus zone' data to download and watch some of the OnDemand programming, especially on weekends.

What am I doing wrong, if anything..?

23 REPLIES 23
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sounds like it has no internal setting for the connection setting like time and such. Since you don't want to lock it out by constantly changing the password the only thing that comes to mind is an outlet power timer.

You could hook the Hopper up to the timer to turn on and off when you want. Kind of clunky but maybe the only way.

@BirdDog

thanks for your reply..

I'm hoping that there is something within the dish settings (via the dish remote and my TV) that perhaps I'm just not seeing.

Most devices, cell phones, etc have an 'automatically connect to wifi' on/off option...I just can't seem to locate it within the Hopper's menu.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sorry, thought you already researched all that and was asking for last resort kind of fix.

I'd research the Hopper and Dish forums/FAQs. It may not have settings to select connection time. In that case, only thing I have for you is a power outlet timer.

@BirdDog

sorry just now reading your reply..

No, up until today I hadn't research it..but like you, I did do some checking today via Dish, as well as some other websites and it doesn't look like there is a 'do not automatically connect' option available.

Upon initially setting up your Hopper via a router, it is designed to automatically connect to that same network anytime the Hopper is turned on ...

Obviously, if you change your wifi password, the Hopper can no longer connect until you manually enter in the new password.

After we initially switched over to Dish Network (we had DirecTV prior to that) I connected the Hopper just a few times to test it out, but not being able to disconnect it completely without having to change the password on the HT2000w I gave up and never bothered with it as I didn't want to be constantly changing my password when ever I used the Hopper.

I actually missed the season premier on one of my shows here yesterday and noticed that it was viewable via OnDemand so I was tempted to download /watch it during my bonus zone period.

I was just hoping that perhaps I had overlooked it in the menu settings nd thus I figured I would come on here and ask...

I do like the HT2000W modem though..

When we had DirecTV, we were NEVER able to get it to connect to our HughesNet service via our older HN9000 modem and seperate router, even though we could connect other devices without any issues...

I haven't had any issues at all connecting ANY device to the HT2000W modem...and the wifi menu and settings are extremely user friendly..even for a novice like me.

thanks again for your help...

I guess I'll just be changing the wifi password whenever I disconnect the Hopper to ensure that doesn't automatically re-connect by itself.

MarkJFine
Professor

I'm sure changing the password is a major pain. Why not figure out the Hopper's MAC address and lock it out?

To do this:

1. Go to the Wifi Settings -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless -> MAC Filtering Table at http://192.168.42.1/wireless_mac.htm?t=1515749253588
2. Add the 6-part bcd MAC address to the first open row

3. Enable MAC filtering: Yes
4. Access Rule: Deny
5. Go to the bottom and hit "Save Settings"

You may have to reboot your modem after this, as this sometimes gets stuck.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

sorry, I'm not sure I'm following..

If I were to do this, wouldn't I still have to go back into the wifi settings to 'unlock' the Mac address at any time I wanted to use the Hopper's features like OnDemand?

I guess for the time being I'll just dedicate the Guest 2.4GHz to the Hopper, and use the other 2.4GHz for all my other devices as those are set specificially not to automatically connect.

At least this way, when I disconnect the Hopper from the wifi and go through the usual steps to change the password for that frequency to prevent the Hopper from automatically connecting again, I won't have to update the passwords in all of our other devices as they will be connecting to the other frequency.

I don't plan on using the Hopper's features during my daytime service data hours (8am-2am) because I only have a 10G plan to begin with.

but I have 50G bonus zone data that is very rarely used (perhaps 2-4GB of data each month) so that would be more than enough data to download the occasion OnDemand program or movie.

I don't know why Dish doesn't just add an on/off option within the Hopper's internet setup settings or allow customers to choose whether or not they want their Hopper to automatically connect to the internet.

It's kinda like Microsoft, when they started forcing the automatic download of Window 10 Updates on users, not taking into consideration that there are still some of us that do have 'limited' data plans. They finally clued in though and started offering 'unmetered' connections even for those of us connected via ethernet...so one can only hope that Dish will also, eventually, add this too.

@bare65

Good point. I thought from the discussion you wanted to make it semi-permanent.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFineand @BirdDog

alrighty..so I did some more research on this topic, and according to Dish, "The On Demand content on channels 501, inclduings free movie titles found in the OnDemand library, and tv shows, have already been pre-downloaded through the Dish satellite, and only needs a broadband connection to order such content, not stream"

So let me ask you all this and get your input..

If the On Demand content is indeed already pre-downloaded using my Dish Satellite as suggested by the Dish support center, wouldn't any Hughesnet data used to connect the Hopper to my internet via the HT2000W built in router, be fairly small?

I was worried that I would use a HUGE amount of data downloading/streaming these OnDemand videos and other content that I've been wanting to watch, but according to Dish, most of the content is already pre-downloaded...so if that's the case, I'm assuming that any data used to connect the Hopper to my internet via the HughesNet HT2000W built in router will be very small...being that I'm simply using my internet connection to 'order' this pre-loaded content.

or, is there some kind of double dipping here where HughesNet doesn't recognize the content as being previously downloaded and charges the data like any other data or streaming activity.

I guess one way to find out would be to try it and see what happens...I only have 8 days remaining in my cycle, so if I get throttled, it's no biggie.

All I can say is that's not true for DTV. All OD content requires internet connection to order and download it. None of it comes down the satellite.

That said, you can record a PPV movie on one of the Cinema channels and watch it later after paying online. But that's not really OD.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Well..so much for that idea, LOL!

If Dish has indeed pre-loaded the free OnDemand TV shows, then that means HughesNet is not recognising this as pre-downloaded content and charging the same data to me anyways...cause I just went from 12% - 8% data remaining in under 2 minutes. YIKES!

The weird part is...As the tv show started playing, I was watching my data via my HughesNet meter, in real time, get zapped, so I paused the tv show, and then immediatley went into my HT2000w wifi settings and turned off the SSDI and changed both the Network Name and password so that the Hopper would completely disconnect from my internet (I also confirmed that the Hopper was disconnected by looking at the 'connected device info' found under the HT2000w advanced configuration general menu)

Well, I went back into the livingroom and unpaused the TV show...and the show is still playing.

i'm 100% sure that there is no 'chatter' between my HT2000w modem/router and the Dish Hopper...

so that right there tells me that the program is indeed pre-downloaded from my Dish satellite as Dish had suggested...BUT for whatever reason, HughesNet somehow charged me data for 'streaming' this pre-downloaded content anyways?

It's like HughesNet is not recognizing that the content has already been downloaded by a different source.

Isn't that double dipping??

*scratching my head*

perhaps I'm confused on how all of this works??

bare65
Advanced Tutor

I have to add..if I had NOT manually disconnected the Hopper from my HT2000w modem, I have no doubts that my HughesNet data would still be getting 'charged' for however long I continued watching this show while being connected to the internet.

Because I have manually diconnected the Hopper, I can now go back and watch this OnDemand show, and not worry about using anymore data.

Something ain't right with this picture though..lol

bare65
Advanced Tutor

okay well...disregard my previous replies about double dipping.

After disconnecting the Hopper, I went back to watching this OnDemand TV show, and got about 10 minutes intothe show and a message popped up letting me know that I would need to re-connect to the internet in order to continue watching the rest of the program.

Not quite sure what Dish's definition of 'pre-downloaded' is, but to me, if something is pre-downloaded, I shouldn't need an internet connection to watch it once it has been ordered.

When I review my 'OnDemand rentals' via my dish settings it clearly says 'download FAILED', another indication that this content was never 'pre-downloaded' and so Hughesnet is right to charge me data for streaming this content, much like it would if this had been a Utube video etc...because that is what I am basically doing.

@bare65 wrote:
this content was never 'pre-downloaded'

As I thought. On Demand means exactly that, when you want it. There's no way they can pre-load all the possible movies you might watch on the internal hard disk. Can guarantee it's not big enough.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

what the heck did we do back in the day before all of this high tech fangdangled technology?

Life was certainly a lot less complicated, LOL!

We went to the cinema, when the popcorn was cheap, and people behind you respectfully didn't talk at the screen with things like "oh no you didn't..." (why I stopped going)

I haven't been to an actual cinema in YEARS.....but occasionally, me and my hubby will go to the DRIVE-IN and watch a movie, although, even that isn't the same anymore. At least at the drive-in, we can bring our OWN popcorn, LOL!

bare65
Advanced Tutor

too funny...if memory serves me right, the last time me and my husband went to an actual movie theater (not drive-in) was to watch Jurassic Park. Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Pretty sure that's not possible. If it's already there, it shouldn't be downloading again. Even if it did, that would be a fault of Dish's software, not Hughes.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OK, my take on what is going on:

First, the Hopper will always use the Internet connection when available for downloading content and streaming. 

So, if you choose a movie it will start downloading it from the Internet and caching it for eventual save to someplace in the Hopper. You pause/stop/exit the movie it will continue to download it in the background from the Internet (HughesNet) until completely downloaded and saved.

This means you can pull the plug from anything including the Internet but it will start finishing downloading the file as soon as you reconnect to the Internet.

I believe what Dish means by pre-downloading content is really going out and getting the file (over Internet) as soon as you choose to watch something, mark it for watching later or start watching then stop.

No matter what, the data is going to get used as soon as you select something. May be in one chunk or several depending what is powered on/off.

@BirdDog wrote:

OK, my take on what is going on:

Think you're spot on 💯