cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you disconnect Dish Hopper from HT2000w wifi?

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Re: How do you disconnect Dish Hopper from HT2000w wifi?

Well..so much for that idea, LOL!

If Dish has indeed pre-loaded the free OnDemand TV shows, then that means HughesNet is not recognising this as pre-downloaded content and charging the same data to me anyways...cause I just went from 12% - 8% data remaining in under 2 minutes. YIKES!

The weird part is...As the tv show started playing, I was watching my data via my HughesNet meter, in real time, get zapped, so I paused the tv show, and then immediatley went into my HT2000w wifi settings and turned off the SSDI and changed both the Network Name and password so that the Hopper would completely disconnect from my internet (I also confirmed that the Hopper was disconnected by looking at the 'connected device info' found under the HT2000w advanced configuration general menu)

Well, I went back into the livingroom and unpaused the TV show...and the show is still playing.

i'm 100% sure that there is no 'chatter' between my HT2000w modem/router and the Dish Hopper...

so that right there tells me that the program is indeed pre-downloaded from my Dish satellite as Dish had suggested...BUT for whatever reason, HughesNet somehow charged me data for 'streaming' this pre-downloaded content anyways?

It's like HughesNet is not recognizing that the content has already been downloaded by a different source.

Isn't that double dipping??

*scratching my head*

perhaps I'm confused on how all of this works??

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

I have to add..if I had NOT manually disconnected the Hopper from my HT2000w modem, I have no doubts that my HughesNet data would still be getting 'charged' for however long I continued watching this show while being connected to the internet.

Because I have manually diconnected the Hopper, I can now go back and watch this OnDemand show, and not worry about using anymore data.

Something ain't right with this picture though..lol

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Pretty sure that's not possible. If it's already there, it shouldn't be downloading again. Even if it did, that would be a fault of Dish's software, not Hughes.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

okay well...disregard my previous replies about double dipping.

After disconnecting the Hopper, I went back to watching this OnDemand TV show, and got about 10 minutes intothe show and a message popped up letting me know that I would need to re-connect to the internet in order to continue watching the rest of the program.

Not quite sure what Dish's definition of 'pre-downloaded' is, but to me, if something is pre-downloaded, I shouldn't need an internet connection to watch it once it has been ordered.

When I review my 'OnDemand rentals' via my dish settings it clearly says 'download FAILED', another indication that this content was never 'pre-downloaded' and so Hughesnet is right to charge me data for streaming this content, much like it would if this had been a Utube video etc...because that is what I am basically doing.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@bare65 wrote:
this content was never 'pre-downloaded'

As I thought. On Demand means exactly that, when you want it. There's no way they can pre-load all the possible movies you might watch on the internal hard disk. Can guarantee it's not big enough.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

what the heck did we do back in the day before all of this high tech fangdangled technology?

Life was certainly a lot less complicated, LOL!

Highlighted
Associate Professor

We went to the cinema, when the popcorn was cheap, and people behind you respectfully didn't talk at the screen with things like "oh no you didn't..." (why I stopped going)

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

OK, my take on what is going on:

First, the Hopper will always use the Internet connection when available for downloading content and streaming. 

So, if you choose a movie it will start downloading it from the Internet and caching it for eventual save to someplace in the Hopper. You pause/stop/exit the movie it will continue to download it in the background from the Internet (HughesNet) until completely downloaded and saved.

This means you can pull the plug from anything including the Internet but it will start finishing downloading the file as soon as you reconnect to the Internet.

I believe what Dish means by pre-downloading content is really going out and getting the file (over Internet) as soon as you choose to watch something, mark it for watching later or start watching then stop.

No matter what, the data is going to get used as soon as you select something. May be in one chunk or several depending what is powered on/off.

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

I haven't been to an actual cinema in YEARS.....but occasionally, me and my hubby will go to the DRIVE-IN and watch a movie, although, even that isn't the same anymore. At least at the drive-in, we can bring our OWN popcorn, LOL!

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

too funny...if memory serves me right, the last time me and my husband went to an actual movie theater (not drive-in) was to watch Jurassic Park. Smiley LOLSmiley LOL