cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snowrodeo
New Poster

New customer looking for recommendations, suggestions, and tips

Hey all,

Looking for some help before I get to far in resetting my current home internet to work with Hughes.  Appreciate any help.

Background:

Got a Gen 5 (HT2000W router) system put in at our cabin yesterday to replace our old CenturyLink ADSL.  We aren't at this location full time (cabin) and we have things like:

• remote thermostats (multiple brands)
  • security and control (Smartthings)
  • smart TVs (Samsung)
  • security cameras (vintage 2017)
  • AT&T pico-cellApple Homekit based devices  
  • DynDNS.com based remote access to our Linux boxes  

Also, we need multiple WAPs (one per floor) to get good coverage.  All the current WAPs are <4 years old.  Only the cameras required port forwarding to work remotely.

Goals:

1) Get internet connection throughout the house via WiFi (there is ethernet to each floor)

2) Get all these devices talking to the outside world again

3) Get remote unix access back (ssh snowrodeo@Mycabin.mydomain.com)

First attempt at the simplest solution (reuse all equipement and connections):

I took my existing modem/route (Netgear) off ADSL and plugged the HT2000W into its WAN port.  It got a valid IPv4 address, but nothing it give DCHP to was able to see the internet.   I stopped there due time constraints

Questions:

1) Should I just blanket upgrade all my WAPs?  Any suggestions for devices that work cleanly with Hughes?

2) Should I switch my home system to IPv6?  

3) Anything special I need to make the various remote access devices work again? 

4) The security cameras remote access had me point to a port on my dyndns address (example Mycabin.mydomain.com:60021).  From the little I have studied on this system, it seems like getting dyndns to work is hard and/or not possible.  Anyone get this working?

5) What else should I be concerned about?

Thanks,

-Snowrodeo

9 REPLIES 9
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To answer your questions...

1: I wouldn't bother unless you want a more modern WAP with Wireless-AC and such.
2: Wouldn't hurt to get everything IPv6 compliant.
3: Remote access via IPv4 isn't possible, and remote access via IPv6 is a nightmare at best.
4: Wont work on Hughesnet over IPv4.
5: Remote access in general isn't possible with Hughesnet Residential services.

You may want to review the following topics.
https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HT2000W-IPv6-inbound-services/m-p/83342#M58814
https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Remote-access-of-security-cameras-REVISITED/m-p/8468...

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Only way remote cameras work is if they are cloud based, not peer-to-peer address based. I have two Nest cameras which are cloud based and they work fine. Even so, can't leave them on 24/7 as monthly data will be consumed in a matter of days, if not hours, depending on the definition camera is set to and the movement in the room.

Thanks for the answers. Not exactly what I was hoping for... 

After reviewing the links, it seems like remote access is really only possible if IPv6 is used throughout.  One message in the link talked about putting an RPi in the system to doing the IPv6 DDNS work so I guess that is an option.

One thing that isn't clear is the willingness of HN to assign static IPs to business customers.  Some posters claimed that HN was only assigning static IP addresses for legacy customers. I will be conducting business from this site and will need to VPN into the corp system.  Does anyone know for sure that HN will (or will not) assign static IP for business customers?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

VPN isn't supported on Hughesnet... If it works, it works, if it doesn't, then well... 

As far as static goes...  That has a complicated history..  In the past Hughesnet offered static IP to everyone for a fee, however, that changed when Gen4 launched and IPv4 addresses dried up.  As of right now, the official word is, Static IP isn't available.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Snowrodeo

When using my own address to check business account availability, it shows the following....

Capture.JPG

So, it appears that static IPs are available for Gen5 SME plans.  

The HughesNet Business plan website...  https://business.hughesnet.com/

Additional info concerning SME accounts and static IP...  https://business.hughesnet.com/taxonomy/term/271

Edit:  Not to confuse you, but Corrosive may very well be right, even though it seems to conflict with what the site says.  A rep should be able to give you a more definitive answer regarding SME accounts and static IPs.  I'll tag the two that are on here most often so they are sure to see this thread when on again.  @Liz  @Amanda

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@Snowrodeo

When using my own address to check business account availability, it shows the following....

Capture.JPG

So, it appears that static IPs are available for Gen5 SME plans.  

The HughesNet Business plan website...  https://business.hughesnet.com/

Additional info concerning SME accounts and static IP...  https://business.hughesnet.com/taxonomy/term/271

Edit:  Not to confuse you, but Corrosive may very well be right, even though it seems to conflict with what the site says.  A rep should be able to give you a more definitive answer regarding SME accounts and static IPs.  I'll tag the two that are on here most often so they are sure to see this thread when on again.  @Liz  @Amanda

I'm showing it also, wonder what it costs. Does seem sometimes the website developers are out of sync with actual availability. WIll be curiuos to see the official response.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@BirdDog wrote:
I'm showing it also, wonder what it costs. Does seem sometimes the website developers are out of sync with actual availability. WIll be curiuos to see the official response.

I think it's one of those, "if you have to ask, it's too much" deals...  Looks like it's something you must call in order to order it.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

I think it's one of those, "if you have to ask, it's too much" deals...  Looks like it's something you must call in order to order it.

I thought the same thing. If you have to ask then................probably not for the usual customer.

Good morning folks,

We soft launched static IPs for business customers in September, I suppose marketing got the go ahead to put it on our websites. I don't have much more information since this is regarding business/SME accounts, but I do know that we don't recommend residential users switching to a business account just for a static IP, unless you have a business.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!