No email, connectivity issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tiaduffey
Freshman

No email, connectivity issue

Worked with Hughes net, xfinity, seem to have a connectivity issue with email! Need a technician! Have no email since being hooked up to Hughes net about a week ago!

51 REPLIES 51
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tiaduffey

What email are you trying to use that you are having an issue with?  Is it HughesNet's own or another one, like GMail, MSN, Yahoo, etc.?  

Are you using an email application, like Thunderbird, to connect to your email?  

When you say "hooked up to Hughes net about a week ago", are you referring to your service being reconnected after the issue that started back in June? 

And, from your description, it sounds like the email in question previously worked with HughesNet, but just not since you were reconnected?  Is this right?  

Edit:  Does everything esle seem to be working normally with HughesNet, as in you can get online and everything, and it's primarily your email that you're having an issue with?  

I am using Safari, had this issue last Oct. which started all this mess! Before that could do email. I am also having issues with the App Store. I trouble shooted with Xfinity yesterday forever! It is definitely a connect issue. A couple times App Store started working but stops working again. I have gotten a couple emails but no body to it. After working with Xfinity the body of my emails showed up. I am not getting new emails in.

GabeU

@Tiaduffey wrote:

I am using Safari, had this issue last Oct. which started all this mess! Before that could do email. I am also having issues with the App Store. I trouble shooted with Xfinity yesterday forever! It is definitely a connect issue. A couple times App Store started working but stops working again. I have gotten a couple emails but no body to it. After working with Xfinity the body of my emails showed up. I am not getting new emails in.

So you're having the same issue with Xfinity?  I don't have any Apple products, so I'm not familiar with their email service, nor the App Store, but if the same issue is happening with Xfinity it would suggest that the problem lies with Apple, not Xfinity or HughesNet.  

Or, perhaps I'm not deciphering your post properly.  It sounds like you have two ISPs.  Xfinity and HughesNet.  And the email in question, which is an Apple based email, is having issues with both Xfinity and HughesNet.  Is this correct?  If so, again, it sounds like the Apple email, and the App store, is the problem.   

If this is the case, I dont' know what to suggest.  Perhaps someone with Apple devices will have some ideas.  

I have Hughes net, only use my email address here that I use in Spokane. I’m in Colville where I have issues, everything is fine when I am in Spokane! I can get mail and App Store at any of my neighbors whom also use Hughes net. It is definitely an issue with my internet! Can do internet most of the time, Facebook, etc. A couple times App started working but a very short time. no emails are coming in and I can’t send either! Don’t want to pay Hughes bill if this is not going to work for me! Been dealing with issues since May! Can’t seem to get anywhere! I am sure I am going to need a tech! One who knows what he is doing! Had a guy at a internet place do some trouble shooting with me and he says it’s a connectivity issue! Everything else seemed O.K. I am taking speed test  a few times a day. It seems to be slow! I can’t get anywhere calling Hughes so I am stuck!!! I am beyond frustrated!!!  Teresa Duffey

I'm also a little confused, because it sounds like you're switching between different ISPs and it's likely some configurations are getting confused. I've seen this before on my own Mac.

To fix it, try rebooting everything in sequence:

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Carefully unplug the modem from the wall socket.

3. Wait a minute or two.

4. Plug the modem's power back in.

5. Wait about 5 minutes until the modem reacquires the satellite and ensures it's properly updated.

6. Turn your computer back on.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

No not switching! Only use xfinity for my email! I’m on Hughes for my server. My email works at neighbors!

I'm still confused. Xfinity to me is an ISP. Are you trying to say that you're going to an Xfinity web site for your email using HughesNet as your ISP?

Either way, it still sounds like a DNS issue. If you try what I suggested it might clear it up.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"I’m on Hughes for my server."

What do you mean by "server" here?

My server is also Hughes, I use my comcast email though because that’s what I use when Im in Spokane. I’m in Colville now. My email and App Store work at my neighbors! they are also on Hughes. Last night about 6:00 I had some emails finally come in but there is no body to them! No emails coming in today!

Yeah, so, we keep asking different questions and you keep responding with the same answer, and it's not getting any clearer to anyone.

All we know is this: Everything works at your neighbor on HughesNet, but not on your's and you also use HughesNet. So it's clearly not HughesNet that's the problem. It has to be something in your configuration or something that you're doing.

We've offered some suggestions on how to possibly fix it, but you've not given any indication that you've tried any of it to see if it fixes the problem. Until you do, good luck with all that.

GabeU

@Tiaduffey

- In order to attempt to clarify some things, is it your Xfinity email or your HughesNet email that you are having issues with?  

- If your Xfinity email, do you sign into it at Xfinity's email site or do you use a 3rd party email app?  

- If your HughesNet email (xxx.hughes.net), do you sign into it at the HughesNet email site, or do you use a 3rd party email app?

- Or, are you using the built in mail application of your Mac's operating system for your Xfinity email, your HughesNet email, or both?

- "My email and App Store work at my neighbors! they are also on Hughes."  -  Are you speaking of your HughesNet email, as in xxx.hughes.net, or your Xfinity email?  

- "My server is also Hughes"  -  Could you please explain what you mean by this?  Are you saying that you have a home server that is connected to your HughesNet internet service?  

- Lastly, I assume you are not having issues with your Comcast email, being that your last post is your first mention of it.  Is this correct?  

maratsade

May the Force be with you, @GabeU,

My email says no network detected, this is in xfinity connect which they told me to download figuring I could get my email that way, I can’t. My email is Tia556@comcast.net,that’s the email I have always used! So in my regular email, I can’t get either! 102002 is the error message I get in xfinity connect app.so it use to work! It is not now since my reconnect! It is a connectivity issue. Can anyone help?

GabeU, I use safari app for my email. My husbands email not coming either, also on Comcast.net. We don’t get email on our IPads or on our laptop. Although last night we did get a couple emails on the laptop but I did not get any body to it and did not get it on my Ipad at all!

GabeU

@Tiaduffey

First, please go back and edit your email address out of your post.  This is a public website.  NEVER post your email address on a public website.  Click on the three dots on the upper right of the post and edit it through there.  

So you access your Xfinity email through Xfinity Connect, and your HughesNet email through your Safari browser?  Have you tried signing in directly at the websites for the emails in question to see if you are getting the emails there?  

GabeU, I have done everything suggested! I’ve done it on this site, I’ve done it on phone with Hughes Net, I’ve done it on phone with Comcast. Nothing has helped yet! Yes, I may be a bit technically challenged. I don’t always understand what you are saying and you don’t always understand what I am trying to say. I will try again! I am on Hughes Net but always have used my safari stamp to go to my email! It is comcast/xfinity. When I go to my stamp to get my mail they either don’t come in at all or come in with no body to it! The body message says this mess. Has not been downloaded from server. If I go to xfinity connect which I downloaded because xfinity thought I could get my emails that way, I open emails and  it says  no network could be detected. Please make sure you are connect and try again 102002. my internet works just can’t use my email properly or open App Store. A couple times my App Store worked for just a few minutes, then won’t work again. Sometimes I get some email in but no body. My last email came in at 12:42 today but no body, says this message has not been downloaded from the server. My App Store and email work perfectly at my neighbors who are also on Hughes net. Emails also don’t work on my husbands IPad nor does the App Store where we update our apps. Laptop can’t get emails either! I don’t know what else to say or how to make it any clearer! I’ve been doing speed tests which I left on a message to Amanda I believe. I will put some on here for you to see.

7:47 p.m. download  4.7.      Upload 1.1 mbps

8:10p.m.                    20.1 mbps.        191 kbps

10:32 p.m.                  21.6 mbps.         140 kbps

9:12 a.m.                    18.7 mbps.          189kbps

1226 p.m.                    17.4 mbps.          1.1 mbps

5:45 p.m.                       14.8 mbps.        1 mbps

10:23.p.m.                     381 kbps.                132 kbps

7:08 a.m.                       12 mbps.             174 kbps

4:41 p.m.                        15.4 mbps.           143 kbps

8:08 a.m.                         11.5 mbps.            179 kbps

12:48 p.m.                      21.4 mbps.             186 kbps

3:23 p.m.                       23.6 mbps.               163 kbps

I hope this makes it clearer!

I did do the test the other guy told me to do, think his name was Mark? I’ve also done that with Hughes on phone and with Comcast/xfinity! Hughes on the phone was no help and never have been! I spend 2 or 3 hours on phone and get no where and they put me on hold many times! My Comcast email has worked for 3 years on Hughes in the past using it the same way I am trying to do now! I have no Hughes mail! Usually use just the stamp thru safari on Comcast email. Only recently downloaded xfinity connect to try and get email as Xfinity suggested that on phone. Comcast and Xfinity are the same company.

GabeU

@Tiaduffey

Okay, that does make it a bit clearer.

- You have HughesNet, and only HughesNet, as your ISP (internet service provider).

- You normally get your email through your Safari browser.  Your email is Xfinity (which is Comcast). 

- You subsequently tried to get your emails through the Xfinity Connect app, but you're not able to get them properly through that, either. 

- Your App Store is also not connecting properly.  

Now, your download speed looks okay (save for one), but your upload speed doesn't.  I found your last download and upload speed tests on testmy.net, and there are a couple of issues with the way the tests are being done, which could end up giving incorrect results, but we'll get to that later. 

When you go to the following page, do you see any State Codes listed?  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/state_code/state_code_monitor  

They will be where the red box is in the following picture.  If you see any state codes listed, please let us know what they are.   

Capture.JPG

Edit:  I forgot to ask, do you have a computer, whether a desktop, laptop or notebook, that has the ability to connect directly to the modem with a LAN cable, and do you have a LAN cable with which to be able to do so?  

This all sounds good! I do not see anything there. What should I see, it’s empty like in your picture, a big green circle below. I have my laptop connected directly to modem, that is what the tech who reconnected me suggested. I think you are getting the picture now, sorry if I didn’t make it clear but have sent so many reply’s to you and Amanda and things probably got mixed up!

GabeU

@Tiaduffey

If you don't see anything in the state codes that's good.  State codes help to point to different kinds of communication issues, or faults in the HughesNet equipment, and similar things.  Not seeing any indicates that there aren't any problems with the equipment or its basic communication to the satellite, or at least from what we can see.  The reps have the ability to see deeper into your HughesNet equipment than we can.    

Now, regarding what appears to be low upload speeds:  it could be related to the email issue, but I can't really say for sure, as I don't know, but the upload speeds definitely appear to be low.  Low upload speeds can cause odd issues, but again, I can't say whether it's causing the email problems or not.  

As of right now, you have a couple of options.  You can wait until the reps get back and find out what they have to say, or you can run a few more speed tests in the meantime.  However, if you do decide to run some speed tests, which they may need, they will need to be run a bit differently than the way you've run the ones you've already done.  They should be run with a single device (computer) that's connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (NO WiFi), and with the WiFi in the HughesNet modem disabled.  They should also be run while signed into an account at testmy.net that you create.  This way all of the tests are saved in a single location, making it easy for the reps/engineers to view your tests, and each test's individual information.  I'm going to tag a couple of the reps so that they will be sure to see this thread and reply to help.  Again, though, they aren't back online until Monday, and it can take them a day or so to reply.  

The speed testing protocol is as follows....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

I’m going to try and do this but as I said before I am technically challenged! I will do my best to figure it out!!!