No email, connectivity issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tiaduffey
Freshman

No email, connectivity issue

Worked with Hughes net, xfinity, seem to have a connectivity issue with email! Need a technician! Have no email since being hooked up to Hughes net about a week ago!

51 REPLIES 51
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tiaduffey

With the tests, after you create the account at testmy.net and are signed in, click on Download Test at the top, then select the 25MB test size from the Manual Test Size.  Then the test will run.  

Screenshot (60).jpg

Then, for the upload test, click on Upload Test at the top, and choose the 4MB test size from the Manual Test Size.

Screenshot (61).jpg  

And you can just do a few of them at different times of the day, barring too much inconvenience, of course.  

The tricky part is probably going to be disabling the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.  Make sure you do this BEFORE you run the speed tests.  

1.  Go here...  http://192.168.42.1/login.htm

2.  Use admin as the password, and click LOGIN.

3.  Make sure you're on the 2.4GHz tab, uncheck SSID Enable, and click Save Settings. 

4.  After it saves, click on the 2.4GHz Guest tab, uncheck SSID Enable, and click Save Settings. 

5.  After it saves, click on the 5GHz tab, uncheck SSID Enable, and click Save Settings.

6.  After it saves, click on the 5GHz Guest tab, uncheck SSID Enable, and click Save Settings.  

7.  After it saves, you can click Logout on the far upper right, or just X out of the page.  

Capture1.JPG

Then run your speed tests.  If you can, you should get a few tests per batch, say 3-5 in the morning, 3-5 five in the afternoon, then 3-5 in the evening.  Again, that's if you can.  If not, just when you are able.  And make sure you space the tests at least five minutes apart.  You can do a download test and an upload test immediately after, but the same type tests should be spaced at least five minutes apart, so if you want to, you can do a download, then upload, then wait five minutes or so, then do another set, then so on.  

When you want to re-enable your WiFi, use the same steps as when you disabled it, but re-check the box for SSID Enable instead of unchecking it.  And do the same for all four tabs, as in 2.4, then 2.4 guest, then 5, then 5 guest. 

And remember, when your WiFi is disabled, it will cut off the connection to all of your WiFi connected devices.  They should reconnect when you re-enable the WiFi.  

And I apologize for having to do all this when you speed test, but disabling the WiFi during the testing ensures that nothing is sapping any bandwidth via WiFi while the speed tests are being run.  The LAN connection is also the strongest, which is why speed testing is requested to be done with a LAN cable connected device.  

Hope this helps.  🙂

P.S.  Once you do this a couple of times you'll start remembering it, making it easier.  Also, you can get to the WiFi settings another way, too.  You can go to the following address, which is the System Control Center, and click on WiFi Settings on the left.  It will take you to the page where you enter admin as the password.  

http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage

Edit:  I keep the System Control Center in my browser's Favorites, as it contains info I can use, plus it's the jumping off point for many things.  If you want to do the same, just click on that link and once you're on the System Control Center add it to your browser favorites (I don't know how that's done in Safari).   

GabeU I just checked my laptop and both my husband and I have emails with the body in it! First time ever! We both however don’t have them on both our IPads?

I did edit my email and take out my email address. Thank you for telling me that!

Hi Tiaduffey, thanks for posting! 

After pulling up your account, I ran some diagnostics and currently your equipment is in great condition; I see everything is fully operational, so a technician is not necessary to resolve your issue.

You mention you're able to view some pages, such as Facebook, but based on what you've shared, it sounds like you're only having issues accessing Apple; is there anything else besides Apple you can't access? In addition, you mention your neighbors are also using HughesNet with no trouble, so I would reiterate that it sounds like an issue with Apple.

I would recommend contacting Apple for assistance, they will be more knowledgeable with Apple related products. If you have other concerns, I'd still be happy to address those with you! 

Regarding the Comcast app email issue, it appears this has been an ongoing issue since last year: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Connect-App/xfinity-connect-app-will-not-open-emails/td-p/2977...

-Brooke

It changes! Can’t open my weather app, can’t use my blink camera, can’t watch a full clip on Facebook,etc etc. it is not Comcast, it is slow speed. I already called them and can’t even get email from their app xfinity connect, they told me to download. Emails come in once in awhile but no body. Come in sometimes on my laptop but not always. Upload is a problem!

@Tiaduffey wrote:

can’t use my blink camera

Well there's a new piece of information... You didn't mention you had an HD-video capable camera running on your network along-side your Apple devices. Have you tried temporarily removing the camera(s) completely from the wifi to see if that fixes the problem? It may in fact be loading your network down so much that nothing else will work, that is, if it's not eating away at all of your data allowance.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

No, just hooked camera up, it’s not the camera, but am taking it off since it does not work. It is my upload speed, eventually mail comes in but no body to it, App Store might work about once a week then quits again! Mail won’t come in at all, then it does but no body. Some things won’t open then they do. Been fighting with this since I got reconnected! Just want it to work. Last year my camera worked fine! Last year everything worked, but mail started not opening. would not open at all, that started in Oct. then I left for the winter. Last year it was only the mail. Would never open. This year will not work consistently for anything!  GabeU was going to send my speed tests to you so you could see my Uploads are BAD!!! If it’s not mail it’s App Store or weather apps, or????? Many things have not worked at one time or another. It is not a Xfinity problem, it is my uploads! Please tell me how we can get this to work! Took me from May until just about a week or more ago to get reconnected after they shut my internet down for no reason. Now I have dealt with this since reconnect. Need my mail to work! I should not have to pay when it is not working. Bill I due on and not want to pay if I isnot going to work. Please let me know if anything can be done to fix this issue. I have dealt with Xfinity and it is not a xfinity issue. It is not jut Apple stuff not working! Also I have a neighbor with 3 blinks working on her Hughes net with no problem.

HughesNet has done diagnostics and there's nothing wrong between the modem and the ground station. Therefore, it's something you're using that's loading the system down. We've led you to the post on how to do speed tests and isolation tests in order to figure out where the problem is. We can't do any of that for you and we certainly can't read your mind.

I'm sympathetic, but without you giving us the appropriate feedback (e.g., specific results of tests) on what we ask you to do, I have no idea how to help you. Adding devices and talking about them not working later just confuses the matter even further. I can certainly guarantee 'upload speed' (unless you really mean 'download speed') is not the problem. I can't even figure out how @GabeU was going to send anyone the result of your tests, when you've not told him or anyone else how to find them.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I did my own speed tests, can’t figure out how to do the ones he asked! I am technically challenged! It is upload that is very low! No blink camera or anything else is connected to my internet! Worked last year does not work since reconnect! Works at 2 of my neighbors who are also on Hughes? It seems to be just here!

maratsade

First thing, create a free account here:  

https://testmy.net/

When you have the account, please let us know and we'll give you the second step.

@Tiaduffey wrote:

I did my own speed tests, can’t figure out how to do the ones he asked! I am technically challenged! 

Well, if you did your own, and you didn't tell anyone, how was @GabeU supposed to send your speed tests to anyone, like you said? He gave you very detailed instructions on what to do. If you're that technically challenged, it's likely your entire configuration is messed up and that's why you're having these problems.

@Tiaduffey wrote:

It is upload that is very low!

I heard that somewhere. Trust me when I tell you that your UPLOAD speed has nothing to do with your email and apps not DOWNLOADING properly.

@Tiaduffey wrote:

No blink camera or anything else is connected to my internet! Worked last year does not work since reconnect! Works at 2 of my neighbors who are also on Hughes? It seems to be just here

You keep saying this and I keep telling you it's irrelevant. We already established it is your setup that is messed up, but you won't do the things we ask you to because you cower behind bieng "technically challenged". I'll say it again: If you won't do what we ask, then all you're doing is barking in the wind.

This is like watching a blind man trying to fish in a barrell with no fish in it, but complaining that his pole won't move.

Wow! Don’t even know what to say anymore!

@Tiaduffey wrote:

Wow! Don’t even know what to say anymore!

This site is to get technical advise from people from us. We keep giving you suggestions on what to do and you keep repeating what the problems are and what your excuses are for not accepting the help you're being given. It's redundant.

We can't help you if you won't do what we ask or even feed back to us what you're doing. We can't just wiggle our collective noses to make it work again.

Your only other option is to pay for expensive technical on-site support to come to the location and sort it for you. You can call the regular help line to arrange that, or maybe an admin here can set it up for you.

maratsade

Tia, I agree with Mark.  It seems that since you have such issues understanding the technology, you may need someone to sit with you in person and help identify and fix the problem.  You will need to pay for a Hughesnet tech to come visit you and work on your network.  It would save you a lot of time and headaches. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

It's times like this that I wonder. What would Gwalk do in this case?

GabeU

@Reggie wrote:

I think Gwalk would probably give instructions on what needs to be done, much as we have.  I really don't know what he would do differently.  

GabeU

@Tiaduffey

If you can tell us where you're getting stuck with the speed testing instructions we can help you, but the reps will need those speed test results.  And I wouldn't waste your time running speed tests if they aren't being done in the way instructed, as they aren't going to do the reps any good.  

Again, if you can tell us where you are having a difficult time we can help you.  As @maratsade stated, the very first step is creating an account at testmy.net.  Click on Sign Up on the upper right of their web page and complete the steps to create an account.  Then, after you create the account, sign into the account, if you aren't already, and run the speed tests as instructed.   

If you're not able to follow these steps and perform the speed tests as needed, I would ask a friend or relative who has a bit more technical knowledge to help you to do so.  

BTW, I don't send your speed test results to anyone.  When you've run some tests, either you or someone else (one of us can do it for you) will post your testmy.net results page link so that the reps can click on it and view your speed test results.  The results aren't sent to them or anything like that.  

Also, just so there's no confusion, I'm a customer, like you.  I'm not officially connected to HughesNet in any way, other than being a customer.  Only those that have "Moderator" or "Employee" or something similar next to their names are HughesNet employees.  The rest of us are just fellow customers.   

@Reggie wrote:

Gwalk would have likely presented his suggestions and then just backed away until they were accomplished.

I would rather let the person know the ramifications of not doing them, and have done so several times.

These are all great suggestions that I also second, I have one other thing I see on my end that I'd like for you to try.

I noticed you have your iPad connected to your hug5g network. This is great for speeds, but for range you would be better being connected to the hug2g. Because your iPad is mobile, it relies on that range and, depending where you are in your house, could be causing a weak signal. 

Try switching to your hug2g network and see if you notice any changes. 

-Brooke

Thanks everyone for trying to help me! This isn’t helping me because too many people are responding and not seeing the whole issue I guess. I can only imagine how hard it is to help me or anyone else technically challenged. I did try both hug5 and hug2. I’ve done everything anyone suggested except the complicated speed tests that just through me for a loop! Can’t try it now because my laptop isn’t here anymore. Don’t want to try it at this point, have spent too many days and weeks trying to deal with getting back on the internet and then to have it still not working right!  It is consuming my life and can’t do anymore! Thanks for trying, I have a Hughes net tech coming out to hopefully fix it! If not I guess I have to quit Hughes net! Ridiculous for me to keep trying! The tech tells me it is a connectivity isue. Whatever it is just hope they can fix it!

I did several of the normal Hughes net speed tests and reported them.