Norton Core

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drhutshall
New Poster

Norton Core

We purchased the Norton Core router. It will not install. We were told by Hughes tech support that ping time must be 100 or less to install the device. They seemed to be unaware that satellite internet even existed. Norton is now giving us the run-around on returning for refund. Be causous dealing with Norton.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mhenning
New Poster

Spent a couple hours on the phone with a Norton tech to get the router working.  The good news is that they are aware of the problem and a fix is on the way.  The bad news is that you have to dink around when trying to connect satellite internet but here is how it is done.  (BTW, those complaining about Hughes Net speeds need to get a 75 baud dial up modem and work with that for a day.)  Okay.....

There are two ways to skin this cat.  The first is to take your modem to a friends house that has internet not through satellite and connect it up to their internet service and complete the set up using the Norton Core app and then bring the modem home.  Actually, there is a third way, you can take you labtop with an ethernet port and go to a friends house and connect the Core to your laptop and connect to the internet through your friends service on your computer and complete the setup in the Norton App.  

To not bother your friend you need to have a smart phone with the ability to be a hotspot.  Connect your computer to the hotspot and the modem to your computer ethernet port and plug the modem in and use the Norton App to setup the modem.  Once you have completed the setup and assigned the Norton Core to your Norton account, go to the Norton App and tap the menu icon in the upper left corner and then Settings » Network » DNS and select ISPs DNS.

Once all that is done you can connect the router upto your satellite modem and you should be in business.

Aparently not all of the Norton techs know how to do this so if you have to call Norton Tech support ask for Deepjyothi Prasad.

Mike

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Drhutshall wrote:
We purchased the Norton Core router. It will not install. We were told by Hughes tech support that ping time must be 100 or less to install the device. They seemed to be unaware that satellite internet even existed. Norton is now giving us the run-around on returning for refund. Be causous dealing with Norton.

Very interesting that it has a latency requirement like that, and good info to know.  It's too bad that Norton is giving you such a hard time with returning it.  

I hope you eventually have success in returning it.  

Good luck.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
fjdiesi

First and foremost, Hughes net sucks. Secondly, Norton Core doesn’t tell you that it doesn’t work with Hughes net, so you get suckered into buying it. I have an AT&T air card that I use that’s faster than Hughes net. Also GEN 5 is not as fast as they claim don’t waste your money on it

I was told by a norton core that you turn your wifi on and blue tooth use your mobile hotspot to downlow the solfware to config, then turn off the hotspot off. leave your wifi on and the core should work. I was thinking about one but there are so many unanswer ?????

mhenning
New Poster

Spent a couple hours on the phone with a Norton tech to get the router working.  The good news is that they are aware of the problem and a fix is on the way.  The bad news is that you have to dink around when trying to connect satellite internet but here is how it is done.  (BTW, those complaining about Hughes Net speeds need to get a 75 baud dial up modem and work with that for a day.)  Okay.....

There are two ways to skin this cat.  The first is to take your modem to a friends house that has internet not through satellite and connect it up to their internet service and complete the set up using the Norton Core app and then bring the modem home.  Actually, there is a third way, you can take you labtop with an ethernet port and go to a friends house and connect the Core to your laptop and connect to the internet through your friends service on your computer and complete the setup in the Norton App.  

To not bother your friend you need to have a smart phone with the ability to be a hotspot.  Connect your computer to the hotspot and the modem to your computer ethernet port and plug the modem in and use the Norton App to setup the modem.  Once you have completed the setup and assigned the Norton Core to your Norton account, go to the Norton App and tap the menu icon in the upper left corner and then Settings » Network » DNS and select ISPs DNS.

Once all that is done you can connect the router upto your satellite modem and you should be in business.

Aparently not all of the Norton techs know how to do this so if you have to call Norton Tech support ask for Deepjyothi Prasad.

Mike

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@mhenning wrote:

Mike

Good info! Suggest editing where you meant to say "router" instead of  "modem". Easy mistake, I make it to, but may confuse the less experienced reading it.

So let me get this straight,every time MHENNING saids modem,he meant the wireless router. He sure did give some good INFO. Haven't bought you yet, I'm going to soon.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@kool1 wrote:
So let me get this straight,every time MHENNING saids modem,he meant the wireless router. He sure did give some good INFO. Haven't bought you yet, I'm going to soon.

As it reads to me all reference to "modem" should be interpreted as the Norton Core router. Only reference that reads correctly is this one "Once all that is done you can connect the router upto your satellite modem and you should be in business."

Again, just trying to keep someone getting totally confused thinking they should be taking their HughesNet modem to a friends house, etc.