cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playon having issues with slow download speed?

spydermike
Sophomore

Re: Playon having issues with slow download speed?

oh, I think I found that the older version of Playon may have had you watching the channel while recording...was that the case?

Now that doesn't happen unless you have visible.mnt in the Playon folder...they use this for troubleshooting.  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

No, I didn't have to be watching it to record it. I could schedule it, and it would record, but using my own data. To download, it would once again use data. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@spydermike 

You may want to look into running an Android emulator on your PC so that you could use the PlayOn Cloud app.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
spydermike
Sophomore

Thanks.  I think I will wait for Playon to suggest moving to the cloud.  I see that they have a sale right now - 365 dowloads for $45.  I got the desktop lifetime unlimited app on sale for $19.95.  That was a deal...and it is for most downloads (Netflix, CBS, Youtube and PBS so far have worked pretty much fine).

I think the problem is again the latency and the slow download speeds from HNS causing Amazon Prime to kick me out.  That is what happened during my testing today...During the first minute of the download a popup says the download is taking too long and it asks me to chose to stop or continue.  I can't answer that question at 3am during off peak recording, so it times out and kicks me out.  That process takes about 2 minutes which is how long my failed videos are.

Let's me stand back and see what I am doing.  I could need more software (Android emulator) with a cloud app for a PC or a cloud app on a phone to download shows to be able to watch videos because my internet service provider can't perform that function.  They "might" work.  I have also been told Gen 5 "might" work.  Am I headed down another rabbit hole?  Time will tell...

GabeU

@spydermike wrote:

I think the problem is again the latency and the slow download speeds from HNS causing Amazon Prime to kick me out.  That is what happened during my testing today...During the first minute of the download a popup says the download is taking too long and it asks me to chose to stop or continue.  I can't answer that question at 3am during off peak recording, so it times out and kicks me out.  That process takes about 2 minutes which is how long my failed videos are. 

It may very well be the reason.  PlayOn Cloud completely eliminates this issue, which is why it's the one we always recommend.  Don't get me wrong, there are some people out there who use PlayOn Desktop with HughesNet, but I just mean that Cloud isn't susceptible to the same issues, as with it you're just downloading a file.

For reference, I think you could probably even use an old, decommissioned Android based Smart Phone, as I think you can still use the Android things via WiFi without it having actual phone service.  I'm going to dig out my old Tracfone and see if I can do this, though I can't remember the Android version on it.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
spydermike
Sophomore

Thanks.  The closest cell signal is 7 mile away, so anything cellular won't work.   So from cloud to android phone, phone to PC, then PC to USB stick then USB stick to TV.  Hmmm.  Or use my cell phone as a USB stick.  Hmmm...

Will Playon Cloud allow the scheduled downloading at Bonus Zone times then like the Desktop version does?

spydermike
Sophomore

Ha, trying to download the cloud app onto my phone using my blazing HNS internet.  So far 10 minutes to download 6MB...fingers crossed...only 56MB more to go!

GabeU

@spydermike wrote:

Thanks.  The closest cell signal is 7 mile away, so anything cellular won't work.   So from cloud to android phone, phone to PC, then PC to USB stick then USB stick to TV.  Hmmm.  Or use my cell phone as a USB stick.  Hmmm... 

The cell phone would simply be used for the app, and you could use your HughesNet WiFi for the connection, so you wouldn't need to connect to your actual cell service to use it.  You'd set up the recordings with the phone.  If you download item(s) automatically or by schedule, then yes, they would need to go directly to the phone, and then you would have to transfer them off of the phone to use them, unless you wanted to watch them on the phone (not likely).  If you want to manually download the item(s), you can do so via the link they send to your email, and with your computer.  Downloading them manually is what I normally do, but I tend to up later than most people so I can do so during the Bonus Zone.

Granted, it is a bit of a convoluted way, especially if you download the items directly to the phone, but in the end you'll have them without any of the buffering and no wasted data. 

I just downloaded two more movies from PlayOn Cloud last night.  Smiley Happy  I bought a bunch of credits during a couple of really good sales a while back and still have 286 left.  They were about 10 cents per at the time.  They sometimes have really good sales on them.

spydermike
Sophomore

okay, 30 minutes into the download and 36MB downloaded...26MB to go.  I might acutally get this app installed!

spydermike
Sophomore

40 minutes and 47MB downloaded....15MB more to go!