cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playon having issues with slow download speed?

spydermike
Sophomore

Re: Playon having issues with slow download speed?

From Playon regarding their Desktop app failure to record/download on off peak hours:

"It is a timing issue. The latency is so much worse than what is considered normal that adding extra steps is going to make our product worse overall. It will cause all failed recordings to be delayed."

The second part of that statement relates a question I had about a possible work around. 

What happens, primarily with Amazon content, but also with Netflix sometimes, is that the download starts off soooo slow that Amazon puts up an error code 7017 called streaming delay.  They ask if you want to "stop" or "continue waiting".  If you select "continue waiting" the video starts playing within 10 seconds and everything seems to work.  I just can't get past the error code without manually selecting "continue waiting".  If this happens during off peak recording/downloading and no one is present, then about 30 seconds after the error code pops up, the attemp fails, and the effort terminates. 

I asked if they could recognize the error code and auto answer with a selection of "continue waiting".  That was the second part of their reply above.

Ugh.

spydermike
Sophomore

well, after several attempts, I decided to try downloading the Playon Cloud content NOT during Bonus Zone but during the day so that I could observe.  A couple fo attempts stalled out, failed and restarted.  I thought the file might be corrupted somehow, so I recorded it again and tried download it again.  It still failed.  Finally, I mus have hit the right window of opportunity with my internet service and, although it took about 20 minutes, I got the episode down.

I will continue to try the Playon Cloud, because 1) my internet service provider can not provide this streaming service, and 2) although it doesn't work perfectly over the last few attempts, it does provide a much needed solution, and 3) I have 358 more attempts available to me (bought and paid for).  I will spend more time trying to determine the origins of our download issue.   It could be a phone setting, or a bug in their software, or, heaven help me, my ISP.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Interesting. I guess it goes to show YMMV. I have no issues downloading POC content, as long as I download items individually and do it before 8 am. 

spydermike
Sophomore

Not a true/fair comparison...I have seen your download speeds!  Much much much much much much much better than ours.  We reside in the black hole on the west coast.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@spydermike wrote:

It could be a phone setting, or a bug in their software, or, heaven help me, my ISP.

Are you downloading the Cloud items to your phone or directly to your PC?

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade

It's not a comparison but a statement -- YMMV due to a great number of variables, including geography. 

spydermike
Sophomore

Sorry, part of your statement was a comparison from my viewpoint: Me saying I am unable to download reliably vs. you - "I have no issues downloading POC content...". 

I think it has been demonstrated through testing and data that my HNS experience and system performance is not nearly as good as yours - not by a long shot.  Nothing personal here...just facts.  If we got your performance at our location,  then I wouldn't be posting here on a support forum. 

Yes, I agree that it is most likely due to our overcrowded beam, our lack of access to Jupiter 2,  being merely Gen4, and having decided to live in the HNS black hole (and whole knows what else that has not be determined).  Believe me we definitely understand that.

spydermike
Sophomore

@GabeU wrote:

Are you downloading the Cloud items to your phone or directly to your PC?

Initial attemtps were via phone.  The final download was to PC through the emailed link.  I need to use the phone so that the scheduled download feature (the most important one in my mind) can be utilized.

maratsade

"Sorry, part of your statement was a comparison from my viewpoint: Me saying I am unable to download reliably vs. you - "I have no issues downloading POC content.."

I wrote "Interesting. I guess it goes to show YMMV. I have no issues downloading POC content, as long as I download items individually and do it before 8 am."  No comparison with your statement.  Everyone's experience with POC is different, varied. 

"I think it has been demonstrated through testing and data that my HNS experience and system performance is not nearly as good as yours - not by a long shot."

Yes. Mileage. Varies. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@spydermike 

Since you ultimately ended up having success with it, I would continue to use the computer for the downloading and use the phone only for setting up the recordings.  

I hope you have better luck going forward. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro