Strange traffic showing on Asus ac68u router, not on glasswire

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdV
Sophomore

Strange traffic showing on Asus ac68u router, not on glasswire

I'm wondering where this activity is coming from.  I have three laptops and all three are showing Avast activity on the Asus AC68u traffic analyzer, but no avast activity is shown on glasswire.  I have confirmed avast is not installed (via installed programs) on any of the three laptops. 

I have been unable to find any references to ASUS using avast firmware, but Asus does use Trend Micro firmware.

Anyone else with Asus routers showing anything similar?

@Amanda@Liz Why is this post identified as SPAM?????
asus-avast activity.jpg

glasswire-no avast.jpg

Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U
4 REPLIES 4
EdV
Sophomore

Anyone else see traffic like this on their AC68U router?  It's gotten kinda silly now.  Avast traffic is now showing for my anycast-dongle and for my Samsung Android devices.  I beginning to think the traffic that is occuring is being "mis-identified" by the ASUS firmware.  It's really strange. Also, maybe it's just lan traffic, and not wan traffic.

Avast-Traffic.jpgavast-Traffic-0323.jpg

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@EdV

Are you showing any AVG traffic on the Asus router?  The reason I ask is that you appear to have AVG installed, and AVG is owned by Avast.  I'm wondering if what you're seeing as Avast traffic is, in fact, tied to your AVG antivirus.  

@GabeU

Hi Gabe, I think you might gave "decoded" the situation.  I was unaware that AVG was owned by Avast.

I do indeed have AVG installed on all three of my laptops.  My router does NOT show any AVG traffic. 

However, how would that explain the Avast (or AVG) traffic showing on my android devices (no avg installed) and especially, how would AVG scan my Anycast (miracast)-dongle?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@EdV

To be honest, I'm not really sure.  Maybe it's somehow scanning (or trying to) the Anycast dongle and your Android phone through the router.  I'm not really up on networking and if what I mentioned is even technically possible.