Streaming experience....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Streaming experience....

For the first time I tried the On Demand option with my DirecTV.  I wasn't planning on leaving the service connected, but only try it to see how well it worked with Gen5.  It worked well, but it chewed right through the data as there is no way to adjust the resolution with DTV's On Demnad Service.  I streamed a 43 minute episode of LockUp and it used about 700MB of data, but it only took a few minutes to download the entire episode.  It went very well.  

Then the bad, though this has nothing to do with Hughesnet.  I reset the network settings on the DTV Genie, which cut the connection, but it kept trying to reconnect with just about everything I did thereafter, or at least asking me if I wanted to reconnect, over and over again.  After a couple of hours of getting really annoyed and trying everything and anything to stop it, I ended up doing a complete factory reset, losing everything I had recorded on my DVR.  It wasn't that big of a deal as there was nothing on there that isn't going to be on again within the next couple of weeks, but it was a bit annoying, nonetheless.  

But, at least now I know that streaming works well with Gen5.  I have a Netflix app on my Smart TV, and I know that I can adjust the definition at the source with Netflix, so I may very well sign up for Netflix and do some occasional streaming.  

12 REPLIES 12