cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Main Router Discussion Topic

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Re: The Main Router Discussion Topic

Well, maybe not. If they built in a wireless access point and a switch, you could still connect your own router to one of the switch ports.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Personally Im using an ASUS RT-AC68R it is a little expensive but I have had no issues with the DHCP lease not renewing and only reboot when either the power goes out or updating firmware
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That I could live with.  Smiley Happy
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I think it would benefit Hughesnet a lot to build a wireless unit into the modem or at the very least select 1 really good compatible router and sell it as a add on for those who want one and limit the installers to only selling that brand and model router and at a fair market price, not allow them to sell a $20 piece of junk from walmart for $100 to the customer then not support it afterwards
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

This reminded me. When I installed the Netgear router yesterday, I went ahead and used the setup wizard. I usually bypass those wizards, thinking they just get in the way, but I let it run.

The wizard analyzed the connection, then came back and reported it detected another router (the HughesNet modem). It then prompted me to choose either "Router" mode or "Access Point" mode, with Access Point recommended. I almost chose Router mode out of habit, but let it continue with Access Point mode.

This seemed to work really well and made me think about some of the questions  we've seen here about double NATs. Since the HN modem really does have it's own router built in, that will just serve up five IPs, I would think that AP mode would be a better choice since it eliminates having a double NAT.

For most users, the five IPs available in the HN modem are more than enough.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Richard3
Sophomore

Alan
A great topic. For the end user knowing what router will work is a challenge. Most of us will rely on  recommendations from Hughes or the installer. As stated the recommended router could be  problematic. Presently I am faced with that issue. Recently replacing a failed router with a Linksys WRT1900AC. While working great for a period of time it now disconnects and reconnects at random. The Hughes modem is working great, can run directly from it with out issue. Have posted on the Linksys Community site and have received suggestions but not solutions. If a solution is found will share here   
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Good point Alan, I just checked the setup in my Asus and when the setup wizard set mine up it automatically AP mode
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I have had mine in AP mode as well. I think this is one of those "little" settings that can make a big difference.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Alan,

Funny you should mention the Netgear WNR2000.

That is what I have been using for several years. It has always been rock solid except for some wireless interference issues from my cordless phone until lately.

It now requires a power off reset about twice per week.

My next one will be a Asus.

The ability to track usage by device will be a real plus.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As far as Hughes building in a wireless capability, thanks but no thanks .... the "integrity" of my routers hardware firewall is very important to me and the 1st level of my network security,