cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Main Router Discussion Topic

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Re: The Main Router Discussion Topic

Maybe they could build in an option in the control settings to disable wireless, just like disabling web acceleration.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Yeah, another Power User Smiley Happy

Most users will never want or need the kind of setups like we use.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yes, I am, but consider this...

New homes are being built, our nations power grid is slowly being updated to a "Smart Grid" where every home has a smart meter.  Many local power companies are giving people network access to these meters.  With that, MANY of todays newer electronics from Water Heaters and Thermostats for the HVAC all the way to lighting in a home is networkable.  Imagine a home that has the following...

Smart Electrical Meter (One IP)
Smart Fridge (One IP)
Smart Water Heater (One to two IP depending on home size)
Smart HVAC system (One to FIVE IP depending on if you use floor heaters under ceramic tiles)
Smart Lighting System (This is where you could end up with DOZENS of addresses)
Smart Irrigation system (One IP)
Entertainment systems (Overly complicated, can cause network size to explode)

All these devices talk back and forth between one another, deciding whether they should be turned on or off, or the optimal temperture for that current time period.  Many new homes are being built around these systems, and many older homes are ever so slowly upgrading to these systems.  My home is one such home that is ever so slowly upgrading.  In the end this costs a fortune, but is well worth it in the long term.  The issue is, when your ISP has control of your router, what's keeping security risks at bay?  IPv6 addresses are routable, makes a smart home a VERY easy target for hackers.  Even BASIC IP Cameras have shown to be easily hacked.  So do I trust my ISP with my router if they can't handle keeping such intruders off the network to begin with?  NO.  Last thing I want is the kid down the street figuring out how to access my network from the WAN side and turning off my water heater half an hour before I go to shower.

Also, many basic routers can't tolerate more than 10-20 devices at a time, they tend to choke up once all those devices start talking at one time.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Maybe we need to start a separate topic, "Should HN Build Wireless Capability into their Modems? My answer is "Yes."

They already have a router built in. It's just a question of whether you want it to supply one private IP to an external router or up to five IPs directly to end devices.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

True, but offering Wireless in the modem like I said earlier, should enable us the choice of disabling such functionality.  If it's enabled, what's to stop people from breaking into it?  I would never notice anyone on the modems Wireless because I have no way of monitoring such a thing, nor seeing how much data is used.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Not only do you have to make sure the router is putting out the wireless signal but you also have to consider your wireless a]card also, I recently upgraded my old "N" card for a new internal AC wifi cared with bluetooth for only $30 and here you can see the throughput but is overkill for the internet that only running 10-21Mbps 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

That makes this a timely topic:

The Internet Of Things

http://www.trendmicro.com/us/marketing/newsletter/flod/20150131/security-for-home-users.html

As more and more of this stuff sneaks into our homes we become more dependent upon securing our networks.

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I totally get that and agree you should be "able to disable" Smiley Happy

I have lots of customers with external wireless routers who have gotten hacked and would have no way of knowing how to monitor their router even if they could. Having wireless, whether external or internal, comes with its own set of risks.

Again, our Geek concerns aren't typical of average HughesNet users.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

You should have an Asus router then Charles, I can monitor each and every device connected and track each devices data usage with just the router