Hughesnet Community

I may get in trouble for this but..........

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I may get in trouble for this but..........

Just got rid of all the new Categories stuff at the top of the main page using Adblock. Did a manual element block and presto!

Now I'm going to be Barbara forever here.
81 REPLIES 81
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Sometimes I don't get to see Comment links or Reply windows. Can read but can't write.

I've had this happen a few times recently when I connect to the comments from the email I get, or even when coming directly to the page with my regular sign on.  I refresh the page and it clears the problem up.  This NEVER happened before, though, and has only been happening since "the change."  Lots of bugs, that's for sure. 

GW
Advanced Tutor

It never happens when I come in this way using my Hughes dashboard log in.
GabeU

Interesting.  I only had it happen once when coming in the normal way (signing in at the dashboard), and I believe it was the very first time it happened, but have had it happen at least three or four times when coming in from clicking on an email.  It hasn't happened yet today/tonight, knock on wood.  LOL.

I was lucky enough to have the Hughesnet sign on connect to the same account.  Months ago I could sign on either way, but only used the Get Sat sign on method over the last five or six as it was easier.  Once I was able to get the Hughesnet sign on verified with the email after "the change" it connected again to the same account, so I haven't had to deal with two accounts like some of you guys have had to.  I created a different account using an alternate Hughesnet email that I had created months ago as I couldn't get in and didn't know about the back door trick, which I only discovered by accident after three hours.  I only used that account for three or four posts. 

The whole thing was, and still is somewhat, a mess. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Looks like new post counts are down so it may be worse than we know.
GW
Advanced Tutor

It's unacceptably pretentious.Simply inexcusable.
GabeU

I feel bad for all of the people that aren't "regulars" and are trying to come to where they came to before to get some help, only to find that the link no longer works. 

Some will be able to figure out how to get here, but some won't.  I think Hughesnet should send a mass email that not only gives the new URL, but also explains how to get in. 

GW
Advanced Tutor

What they need to do is very simple. Quit blocking Get Satisfaction account holders out of a Get Satisfaction Community by restoring the ability to log in using pre-existing Get Satisfaction credentials.
GabeU

Absolutely!  They really screwed up in estimating (if they even did) how many people signed into the community using Get Sat credentials. 
Amanda

Hello

I am trying to confirm with GetSatisfaction that the merges were completed. Doesn't seem like they were, but want to find out before we start escalating things. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks
Amanda
GabeU

Amanda,

Are those that design and run the Hughesnet community board planning to eventually move completely away from using Get Sat and it may be causing an aversion to adding back the option to log in with one's Get Sat credentials?  

Amanda

Hi GabeU

Yes, actually, I don't know why the option is still there. The only way to post in the community should be via logging into the Support Center (http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com) and navigating to the community (or allowing cookies and visiting the community). Manual logins would only allow HughesNet e-mails. We're technically not adding back the option to login with your GetSat information with this merge - just attaching a SAN to your existing profile.

Amanda
maratsade

Sightly off topic, the redirect from the old URL to the new one works fine and it's seamless.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'm still Barbara in My Account here even after successfully logging in both here and at SC with my HughesNet email account. Account info shows correct at SC, only place I'm Barbara is here.
Amanda

Thanks. I'll assume then the merges were not completed on their side. Still waiting to hear back.

Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If it helps, noticed the My Account info at top right shows Barbara, if I click on the myAccount link to SC over towards the left on top bar then I'm asked to sign in again. Same with the email link. Don't know if once logged in here or at SC supposed to be able to get to all without signing in again.
GabeU

BirdDog,

It does the same for me.  If I click on the myAccount link or the email icon it asks me to sign in, even though I'm already signed in on here using my Hughesnet credentials.  It shows my correct info (no Barbara or Deepa), so I don't think it's tied to your info showing the incorrect name. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, something with the GS interconnection. Would think pretty easy to track down since I also provided the SAN that is appearing with Barbara. I guess the login at one place doesn't carry over to all HughesNet sites and services.
GabeU

I think, though, that possibly even once the accounts are connected, doing something that is Hughesnet specific, like email or account info, will still require a separate sign on due to the community still being "powered" by Get Satisfaction and not being a sole Hughesnet site. 

I imaging if they eventually completely move away from Get Satisfaction and truly have their own community that may change.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, I guess I'm misunderstanding because I thought that was the overall intent for all this. I guess not.
GabeU

I'm not really sure.  It sounds like they want everyone to eventually have to sign in using their HN credentials, but I'm not sure about actually have their own, Hughesnet "owned" community.  I could be wrong.  I often am.  LOL. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

So much for the concept of SSO.