Login timeout question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Login timeout question

How long is the login timeout for the community? It  logs me out within minutes, when it used to take a lot longer to do so.  Has that changed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning folks,

Thank you for your patience on this, we've confirmed that the source of the latest logout behavior is also not on the community side, but now that's both sides saying it's not their issue. LOL At this point I can only venture a guess that when we fixed the previous logout issue to ensure customers were securely being logged out of the system, this came with other unexpected side effects. 

I know from my experience, it changed too; when I'm signed into the community, but launch a community profile link from another site in a different tab, the community in that new tab is logged out (and logs me out from my initial logged in tab as well). And it only happens with community profiles. Weird.

While this is a minor annoyance, as maratsade said, I wish we could've pinpointed what's going on. Of course, should anything change drastically, please let us know so we can tackle it.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
GabeU

@maratsade 

I use an add-on/extension that automatically converts new tabs to new windows, as I don't care for tabs, but it's the same here.  As long as I kept at least one window open, never completely closing Edge (or Chrome before Edge), I could open a new HN Community page and still be logged in.  

I did tend to keep the main HN Community page open, just for convenience, but either way I would stay logged in for a long time.  It seemed to be somewhere between two and three hours or so.

maratsade

@GabeU 

Yep, same thing with the tabs. I had high hopes that the problem was an add on, but alas, no. 😞 

I have kept a tab with HN open and so far so good, I'm logged in when I click the tab. I'd rather go back to the way it was before, though, when I didn't have to keep that tab open, when keeping the browser open was enough. 

Still, this is another one of those things that's not of huge importance, just mildly annoying. 🙂

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

@GabeU 

I'd rather go back to the way it was before, though, when I didn't have to keep that tab open, when keeping the browser open was enough. 

It's weird that it still works that way for me, but not for you.  

maratsade

So you can still close a tab/window and then reopen it and still be logged in? Doesn't work like that anymore for me. 😞

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

So you can still close a tab/window and then reopen it and still be logged in? Doesn't work like that anymore for me. 😞

Yep.  As long as I keep one window open from when I had been signed into HughesNet.  Like if I had 20 open pages, and only the first page was the signed in HN page, and I then closed pages 1-19, I could go to HN with page 20, or open another page and go to HN (as long as I didn't close page 20), and I'd still be signed in.  Or, I could even open page 21, then close page 20, and then go to HN with page 21 and still be signed in.  

As long as I don't completely close Edge, I'll still be signed in.  

Thinking about it, with how the whole email page sticky sign in thing is/was different for you and I, it's not that surprising that it's different with this too.

Good morning folks,

I've relayed both your descriptions of your experiences with auto-logoff since our folks weren't able to replicate this on their end. If the descriptions aren't enough, they may want a screen recording, just a heads up.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

Thanks, @Liz . Not sure how a screen recording would be beneficial with this specific issue, because if I stay on the page I tend to stay logged in, and when I'm not on the page, I'm on other tabs doing other tasks that aren't related to the community site. 

Yeah I think it's just to get the clearest picture of what you're experiencing, but I think your description "More data" should be enough; at least it's enough for me. I'll keep you posted on your case updates.

-Liz

Good morning folks,

Thank you for your patience on this, we've confirmed that the source of the latest logout behavior is also not on the community side, but now that's both sides saying it's not their issue. LOL At this point I can only venture a guess that when we fixed the previous logout issue to ensure customers were securely being logged out of the system, this came with other unexpected side effects. 

I know from my experience, it changed too; when I'm signed into the community, but launch a community profile link from another site in a different tab, the community in that new tab is logged out (and logs me out from my initial logged in tab as well). And it only happens with community profiles. Weird.

While this is a minor annoyance, as maratsade said, I wish we could've pinpointed what's going on. Of course, should anything change drastically, please let us know so we can tackle it.

Thanks,

Liz

maratsade

A few things:

• See, now you've made the system paranoid. 
  • Since blame is being assigned, I would like to blame Century Link, on principle.
  • Wind turbines may also be responsible.
  • It's a minor, mild annoyance, nothing more. Speaking for myself, I'll live.  🙂
  • Thanks to you, Liz, and to whoever else looked into this. 

• Since blame is being assigned, I would like to blame Century Link, on principle.

XD LOLOL

@maratsade wrote:

They're like a utility blame rationale. Regardless of the actual problem, they usually will be the cause. So, you're not wrong.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

Don't forget, there is always the possibility of Gremlins.  They haven't gone away.  They've just been quiet as of late.  🤪

maratsade

@Liz wrote:

Hmm ok, I'll poke around and see what could be the cause despite our settings set to the max for inactivity.

-Liz

It doesn't make sense to me (with my limited knowledge of how these things work) that it would be the settings. I don't know if it would be related to the email logout fix, and if so, how.  This is all just a very minor issue, though, a small and curious annoyance, so no pressure. 🙂

GabeU

@Liz 

For me it's sometimes longer.  Maybe upwards of 45 minutes or even an hour.  It's hard to know as I don't really pay attention to the time.  I just know that, unlike before, when I do my occasional check for new posts or replies, I sometimes find that I'm logged out.  Prior to this it was hours before being logged out.

Thanks folks, I've sent over your feedback to see if there's anything we can do without affecting that previous fix to address the logout issue. I'll keep you posted.

-Liz