Pinned topic on "How Satellite Internet Works"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pinned topic on "How Satellite Internet Works"

I got around to reading this pinned post: How Satellite Internet Works. I feel it is misleading to say the least. Although I don't really have a problem with the latency on satellite I know there are many who do and to brush over the inherent high latency on satellite doesn't sit quite right to me.

These two statements seem particularly very general in nature, too much so IMO when it comes the higher latency experienced:

"Because Internet via satellite is so technologically advanced, this distance hardly makes a difference, even with rural Internet connections."

"Although the signal travels a great distance, there is only a fraction of a second delay during this transmission. This is similar to delay you may have experienced when using a cell phone."

A "fraction of a second" can be interpreted many different ways. Both a tenth of a second and half a second are fractions of a second but very different when it comes to the internet. My cell hotspot runs around 20ms latency while my satellite internet usually averages around 700ms. Really don't consider the delays "similar".

Could a moderator or other Hughes employee please, please review and amend this article? It sure seems to lead any new or potential customer down the primrose path so to speak when it comes to delay (ping/latency) experienced with ground based internet versus satellite.

Thanks for considering my sincere feedback on something that seems a bit misleading here.

4 REPLIES 4
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I agree with BirdDog, the article does seem to gloss over the latency issue.

Good morning folks! 

Thanks for your feedback, I'll send this over to marketing--they're the ones who provided this piece.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks Liz. Just trying to prevent giving potential and new customers another reason to say HughesNet misleads them about system performance and capability.

Can you reply again when you hear something?

Sure thing, BirdDog. When I e-mailed your original post to marketing, they sent it to the web manager in charge of the page where that info originally was hosted, and the appropriate marketing manager. 

In the meantime, I'm going to temporarily archive that post so it's not visible in the community.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!