Signing in each and every visit?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Signing in each and every visit?

Is it normal to have to sign in with each and every visit?  Even if I close out the window and come back within fifteen seconds, I have to sign in again.  Is this normal?  If I get notices of replies throughout the day, am I going to have to leave a Hughesnet Community window open to keep me signed in?  Shouldn't there be an option to remain signed in.  

I know the mods will probably quickly get sick of "On the other Hughesnet Community...", but on the other Hughesnet Community I rarely had to sign in as my computer would stay signed in.  

Actually, yesterday it was staying signed in.

I know Jezra started a related post, but I figured his was more about actively signing out and remaining signed in than just remaining signed in when one didn't try to sign out.  

45 REPLIES 45
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Last I heard they are going to try to make it not so aggressive at logging people out automatically. Can see where it could be a problem to leave people logged in for a long period if they did so on a public computer like the library. 

GabeU

That's good.  Of course, just like with the email notification, there is a temporary solution in leaving at least one connected page open all the time.  

I would hope that someone using a public computer would remember to sign out, but that doesn't always happen, of course, and we've all got other things on our mind at any given point.  There are advantages and disadvatanges with either, of course.  

Still, though, the new site is starting to grow on me.  It'll take some getting used to, but think about how many sites we go to that have changed over the years and we have eventually gotten used to those changes.  

Progress never stops.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

True, and come to think of it most public computers have auto logout from the internet connection which also clears site log ins. Hopefully the log on time will be extended here, regardless if page/browser is open.

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Some login changes were made recently, how are the login/logout times for you now? Are you still finding yourself needing to log in often within a short amount of time?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Liz, it does seem longer for me, not sure what the actual cutoff is now but is much better.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I am surprised we dont have an option burried deep somewhere, so we can select, "stay logged in indefinitely" as I am the only one to ever touch the only computer in the house that ever sees my accounts... lol

GabeU

How long it lasts, I don't know, but it does seem to be keeping me signed in now.  Thanks to whoever worked on it.  

And I agree with Corrosive that being able to stay logged in indefinitely would be easier for some of us who have no possibility of others using our computers.  Perhaps some time down the road.  

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear it's not logging you out as quickly.

I wouldn't mind a "stay logged in forever" option either, but I don't think the higher ups would like that as it may pose as a security risk in cases where people are logging in from public spaces.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GW
Advanced Tutor

This silly forum has made me sign in at least 5 times since I initially logged in a couple of hours ago. This, even though I'm actively reading posts and making posts. It just keeps booting me out. I think the proper acronym for this is PITA.

I concur with the consensus here. Credentials are going stale WAY too quickly.  I'm for some user-settable option to keep my credentials fresh/active.  This is common on forum sites.  The added irritant with this on the hughesnet forum for me is that the login process is unreasonably slow.

maratsade

" I'm for some user-settable option to keep my credentials fresh/active.  This is common on forum sites. "

YES! I'd like this option too. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OK, the short log in time is officially making me nuts. Smiley Frustrated

Hello,

I made an adjustment, so please let me know how your auto-logout experience is today.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Liz, I close browser, come back and signed out. Don't know if soemthing you can fix. No cookie as part of logon? Acts like a banking site, kinda overkill it seems.

Haven't timed what just leaving the site and coming back does yet, browser still open, will report back.

Thank you, Gwalk. Looking forward to hearing back. I just tried with my account, as well as my regular member account and I was not getting signed out after closing my browser. 😕

GabeU

There appears to be absolutely ZERO consistency with staying signed in.  One day I'm immediately signed out if I close the window, then the next day I only have to sign in once during the day and stay signed in, even if I close all Community windows.  The next day it's back to being immediately signed out again.  Yesterday was great.  I had to sign in once during my nearly twelve hours of coming in and out of the Community.  Today, I'm immediately signed out again when I close the window.  Sheesh!  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Zero consistency is an understatement. Desktop WinXp, Desktop Win7. Desktop Linux Mint, Laptop Win7, Nook HD+ tablet and Samsung Galaxy tab4, everyone different and none stay the same.

As for accessing the site the Nook HD+ has to be the worst. Try to make a reply and keyboard departs before you can type a single letter. Repeated attempts result in repeated failures. It only happens on this site .. nowhere else.

Longer posts are 50/50 on if the graphics will post in the proper order or not give a HTML error.

At that rate I'll still be a freshman when Barb, Rose and Deepa graduate from college.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Liz, I close browser, come back and signed out. Don't know if soemthing you can fix. No cookie as part of logon? Acts like a banking site, kinda overkill it seems.

Haven't timed what just leaving the site and coming back does yet, browser still open, will report back.

Same here.  It was working over the weekend, but now it's back to being signed out immediately when the windows is closed.

I signed in, went to this thread, closed the window, immediately opened a new one, came back to the site, and had to sign in again.  Something broke.  LOL.  Dealing with having to sign in if you were out for more than twenty minutes or so was annoying enough, but now you can't be out for twelve seconds without having to sign in again.  

I guess it's back to constantly leaving a window of this site open and remembering to refresh it every fifteen minutes or so.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor