Remember to look in on the MyAccount/Billing page and keep and eye on "pending" charges so as to avoid surprises.
"It's somewhat funny, but just a few hours after I posed this question to the community about billing and resets, I received an email "Activation Confirmation and Next Steps" that goes into great depth with regards to the 'resets'...almost as if was a new customer."
Better late than never, and it's go news, so woot!
"I have learned that my billing date will remain the same day. I actually like this idea too as I am very much a creature of habit when it comes to paying all of my bills, so knowing now that it isn't going to change, I'm happy."
I'm with you. I've had the same billing date for a long time and I wasn't relishing the idea of a new billing date, but it stayed the same, so I'm happy too!
Its good to be one (or more) steps ahead.
A number is users have reported what they feel is an increase it the rate of data consumption when they upgraded from a HT1100 Gen4 to Gen5 plans. The difference is yet unexplained .. to small a sample at this point.
A change from a 9000 system to a Gen5 is likely to be whole new ball game.
I have a post going here that you may wish to keep and eye on as it developes ... work in progress and all that. You might glean a tip or two in terms of "tools" and such that may help you monitor things until the dust settles.
The post is working towards a conclusion but still ... in progress:
"A number is users have reported what they feel is an increase it the rate of data consumption when they upgraded from a HT1100 Gen4 to Gen5 plans. The difference is yet unexplained"
Well, you know, I was actually thinking about that the other night...and I have absolutley no doubts that customers are indeed experiencing an 'increase in the rate of data consumption"
and quite honestly, I think this increase of data consumption CAN be easily explained...
Now that I have upgraded to Gen 5 myself, and being that my speeds are significantly faster than the SpaceWay 3/HN9000 service I previously had, I too, have no doubts that my own 10GBs of monthly data may indeed 'appear' to disappear at a much faster rate...
Why would this be??
Is someone stealing it? Is HughesNet ripping me off claiming I'm using more data when I'm not?
The short answer is NO to both of these questions...
You see, the way I figure it, if the content on the webpages I visit is downloading much faster than that of my previous service (Gen 4) then obviously these faster speeds is going to allow me to visit more sites, and/or download more content (without even realizing it) as there will be less of a delay in these pages loading.
For example...on the Spaceway 3 satellite that I was previously on, there were times I would head on over to uTube to view a music video or whatever, but being that my speeds were on the slow side, it would take a long time for the content to actually download and start playing (lots of buffering etc)...somedays, if my speeds were really slow, I would just give up, close the browser and go do something else.
Now that I am hovering around 40 Mbps speeds...viewing a uTube video poses no problems whatsoever...in fact I've watched several today, lol (thank goodness for those 20 days of resets I'm getting, haha)
So what does this mean?
...well, if I'm not carefully monitoring my usage with the tools that I have in place, it's not going to take long for me to exceed my 10GB of data each month...because simply put, YES!! I am indeed using more data.
Personally, I have never experienced 'data loss' , at least none that couldn't be explained.
Don't get me wrong, there have been times I've glanced over at my usage meter and noticed a massive chunk if data go *POOF* (1 Gig +) but I quickly realize that is it no doubt some sort of Windows 10 Update..which, after some quick verifications, proves to be indeed the culprit.
I also have taken the time to install several apps & programs and/or disabled apps and plagins to ensure that things like streaming content/video isn't automatically downloaded or plays while loading things like u-tube, news websites, Facebook, etc...no unwanted ads popping up on my screen..all of which can eat away at your data.
I, personally, have experienced a marked uptick in my data usage since upgrading to Gen5, as well, and I am doing a few things to try to determine why. I know what's NOT causing it, so I've eliminated some things, but the study continues. To put it bluntly, I suspect it has to do with compression, and possibly the way in which one's data use is tallied with Gen5 vs Gen4.
With that said, I wish "they" made a switch to quickly disconnect the LAN when one needs to. Unfortunately, no matter how many apps and adjustments we make, there are sites that include videos and such cannot be made to NOT load and/or play. News sites, for instance. I've taken to waiting until the page is loaded with its print, then disconnecting the LAN cable before the video starts to download and play. Then, when I'm finished reading the article, I close out the window and reconnect the LAN cable.
It's not an ideal solution, but it works. It's not that I do this over and over again, but I do it at least once every day or so. Some type of switch, which one could just flip to disconnect the LAN connection, would be so much easier. That, of course, is in lieu of another app that will work for a while in preventing videos from playing. I say "a while," as they will find a workaround pretty quickly. They always do.
Chrome used to have the ability to stop plugins from loading. They got rid of that. Bummer!