Hughesnet Community

A question, for those in the know, regarding using Windows 7 on a second computer when "connected" to the first one.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

A question, for those in the know, regarding using Windows 7 on a second computer when "connected" to the first one.

I have an older Dell E521 on which I would like to install Windows 7 Pro.  It's an upgrade version to be used over Windows Vista, but done with a clean install. 

Here's the possible problem.  The product key of the W7 Pro in question was originally installed on the desktop I am on now, originally installed over Windows Vista, which I borrowed from the Dell so I could have something to use for the upgrade to W7 Pro.  I never activated the Vista on my present computer and it was only on here for about fifteen minutes.

I then upgraded to W8 Pro, from a disk, and again a clean install, then to W8.1 Pro, using the online method, and then to the W10 Pro I am presently using, again doing it online. 

I would like to use the Windows 7 Pro disk and product key to upgrade the Windows Vista on the Dell so I can donate it.  What I'm wondering is if it will work, due to the Windows 7 Pro product key technically being connected to the computer I'm on now.  I hope this makes sense. 

Any ideas?  Do you think it will work?  I just don't want to donate something that is practically worthless because of a VERY outdated OS.  In the end, if it won't work, I'll put LinuxMint on it, but the Windows 7 would be so much better.  I want to find a way to make something work as I don't want to just toss it in the junk pile when so many families around here can't afford a computer for their kids. 

Thanks for the help.    

15 REPLIES 15