cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MolliWog
Freshman

Account cancellation + ETF waiver for misrepresentation

Hi,
I would like to cancel my service with HughesNet and have the ETF waived due to misrepresentation on behalf of the representative who LIED about my ability to transfer account ownership. I began my HughesNet service on March 23, 2017 after moving into a new residence, but due to harassment on the part of a neighbor I decided to not renew my lease and moved from that residence at the end of December 2017.

In preparation of my move I called HughesNet to inquire about my options for handling the account. I asked the representative about the possibility of transferring the account to the new tenant of the residence I was leaving and was informed that it was not possible, but that my account could be suspended for up to 6 months while I decided how to proceed with the account in my new living situation.

Fast forward to May 2018, my 6 month service suspension ends on June 19, 2018 so I contacted HughesNet about canceling the account and was informed the total ETF (internet + phone) would be almost $500. I opted not to complete cancellation during that call as the language barrier was obstructing my ability to update my payment information for the ETF and I still had a few weeks before the suspension period ended to try again at a slightly later date. I decided to explore other possible options for my account in the meantime and came across this: https://support.hughesnet.com/faq/account_billing/change-account-ownership-form

Apparently it’s actually 100% possible to transfer ownership of an account still under contract. Had I not been LIED TO by the representative I interacted with in December 2017 I would have done just that and would not be subject to the extremely steep ETF I was recently quoted; hence why I would like it waived.

This isn't the first time a HughesNet representative has LIED to me either. In July of 2017 my equipment failed and caused a week long interruption in my service. I may not be a professional IT, but I’m certainly not technologically illiterate and I knew from the beginning it was an equipment failure as my modem ceased displaying any lights at all.

When I phoned tech support about it, and described the state of my equipment, I was told that “weather was affecting a transponder in Texas” and that that was instead the reason for my interrupted service in Northern California. That representative refused to considered my equipment concerns and so did the representatives I spoke to each day for the next 2-3 days who continually gave the same line about the “transponder in Texas” being the culprit of my issues.

After a few days of support calls I finally got a representative who acknowledge it was in fact my equipment that had failed and sent out a new set up (which solved the problem, but waiting on the shipment extended the interruption duration to about a week). While on the phone with that representative I mention the “transponder in Texas”, inquiring as to whether or not they thought it would continue to cause me issues with the new equipment, but was basically told they had no idea what I was talking about; only leaving me to wonder why it was necessary for the other representatives to repeat that FALSE line for DAYS and treat me like a idiot who had misdiagnosed the obvious failure of their equipment.

Not only have HueghesNet's representatives FLAT OUT LIED to me MUTIPLE TIMES during our interactions, but one of those LIES is about to cost me almost $500. At this point I'm beginning to suspect it might have been intentional to keep me on the hook for the ETF once my suspension period ended, but you’re welcome to prove me wrong by waiving the ETF and canceling my account since it was YOUR REPRESENTATIVE'S LIES that caused this conundrum I otherwise could have avoided had they provided me with accurate information about transferring account ownership back in December 2017.

Updated: I'm not sure why you immediately rejected my first attempt at posting this complaint (I have screen shots), but here's my second attempt.
14 REPLIES 14