cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the sales agents required to tell potential new customers that there is no trial period?

Highlighted
Tutor

Are the sales agents required to tell potential new customers that there is no trial period?

I understand that first and foremost HughesNet has a responsibility to keep the shareholders happy, but does HughesNet really have so much disdain for the quality of their own product that they needed to get rid of the 30 day trial period? It would appear so. I can only hope that the sales agents are required to tell potential customers that there is not trial period and if they don't like the service then they will be on the hook for $400.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Admin

Re: Are the sales agents required to tell potential new customers that there is no trial period?

Gosh, lots of negative vibes in here this afternoon.  Maybe some explanation might help.  The 30 day trail period was originally dropped for 2 reasons - DirecTV and others dropped it and it may still be gone but more importantly, satellite service installs are expensive.  I don't need to tell you folks that. That antenna on the pole in yards is wasted effort for potentially casual buyers.  
You can still get the 30 day trial today if you ask for it.  Lastly, there's a reason why customers credit scores are not impacted by the use of our collections agency.   If you find one, send them here.

OK next thing up ..how about some ideas for new contests...we need some fun happening.   
16 REPLIES

Re: Are the sales agents required to tell potential new customers that there is no trial period?

Isn't there a consumer protection law that allows 30 days?
Teaching Assistant

I think that without an "escape clause" the Sales Department needs to be MUCH more forthright and honest as to real world system performance.

Senior

I would like to hear from Hughesnet as to why they decided to remove it as well.
Tutor

Now compound this issue with the penchant of the installers to simply click through what is supposed to be the customer's confirmation and acceptance of the Terms of Service, and you end up with a nice extortion racket.

customer: the service is bad I want out
hughes: ok, fork over $400 
customer: no, just cancel my service
hughes: you signed a contract
customer: no I didn't
hughes: say goodbye to your credit score, we're sending the bill to collections.
Admin

Gosh, lots of negative vibes in here this afternoon.  Maybe some explanation might help.  The 30 day trail period was originally dropped for 2 reasons - DirecTV and others dropped it and it may still be gone but more importantly, satellite service installs are expensive.  I don't need to tell you folks that. That antenna on the pole in yards is wasted effort for potentially casual buyers.  
You can still get the 30 day trial today if you ask for it.  Lastly, there's a reason why customers credit scores are not impacted by the use of our collections agency.   If you find one, send them here.

OK next thing up ..how about some ideas for new contests...we need some fun happening.   
Tutor

Katie, can you please create a new thread for discussing new contests? I would like to keep this thread focused on the topic of eliminating the 30 day trial. 

Just because other companies do it, doesn't mean it is a good idea for HughesNet to do it.  

Is there a chance you can chime in on what HughesNet is doing to make sure that new customers are aware that there is no trial and that the customer will be charged $400 for ETF even if their service is far below what is advertised?

Similarly, can you tell us anything about what HughesNet is doing to ensure that installers do NOT click through the Terms Of Use confirmation?
New Poster

Depending on the state your in Hughes has to provide the 30 day without paying the ETF but Im not sure which states are included
Teaching Assistant

I know in many states it is as low as 3 days (72 hours) to cancel a consumer contract. Even then it must be in writing, notarized and be received before the 3 days is up.

I think they call it the "buyers remorse clause".
Senior

New customers should not have to ask about the 30 day trial. If HughesNet was confident about your service you would not have removed the trial in the 1st place.