Canceling service, no refund

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burgerbitz
Freshman

Canceling service, no refund

I called today today to cancel my service, only 2 days into my paid month. Today is January 4 and my billing date is January 2. I expected to get a refund for the remainder of my paid month. I was livid when I found that I was charged $154 for 2, that's TWO days of service. She said I could still use it for the remainder of the month. Now why and how would I use it when it's no longer hooked up and I have Verizon fios which provides unlimited data and high speed? I am just outraged that I have to pay so much for absolutely nothing! My case number is 135151980. Now I have the feeling that when I return the equipment that it won't meet their standards and I'll be charged for that, too. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

For anyone reading this thread, the standard cancellation procedure is to terminate the service at the end of the current service month, which means you can continue using the service through the last day of said month.  This is because HughesNet uses 'forward billing'.  This means that, for an arbitrary example, when your new service month starts on Jan 5th and the bill is generated and automatically paid on the same, it's for service from 12:00AM on Jan 5th through 11:59:59PM on Feb 4th. 

However, when cancelling your service you can request an immediate cancellation, which would take effect immediately and for which the unused remainder of your service month would be credited.

Again, this is primarily for informational purposes for those reading this thread.  It sounds like Liz is helping the OP.  🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade

I would suggest you read the susbcriber agreement carefully. The agreement goes in effect the second the equipment is installed and activated. This includes the penalties for early termination of the contract. 

https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

You will receive a box to return the equipment. You can always take a photo of the contents and of the packed box before you send them. 

Burgerbitz wrote:

I called today today to cancel my service, only 2 days into my paid month. Today is January 4 and my billing date is January 2. I expected to get a refund for the remainder of my paid month. I was livid when I found that I was charged $154 for 2, that's TWO days of service. She said I could still use it for the remainder of the month. Now why and how would I use it when it's no longer hooked up and I have Verizon fios which provides unlimited data and high speed? I am just outraged that I have to pay so much for absolutely nothing! My case number is 135151980. Now I have the feeling that when I return the equipment that it won't meet their standards and I'll be charged for that, too. 

I did not terminate my contract early. I've had Hughesnet for well over 2 years, probably more like 10 years. So I did not cancel within the 2 years first required. 

maratsade

I misunderstood what you said. You would not be charged a termination fee, then.  I hope the HN reps here can look into your account and figure out what's going on. 

Thank you. I hope so, too.

Hi Burgerbitz, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting.  Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

For anyone reading this thread, the standard cancellation procedure is to terminate the service at the end of the current service month, which means you can continue using the service through the last day of said month.  This is because HughesNet uses 'forward billing'.  This means that, for an arbitrary example, when your new service month starts on Jan 5th and the bill is generated and automatically paid on the same, it's for service from 12:00AM on Jan 5th through 11:59:59PM on Feb 4th. 

However, when cancelling your service you can request an immediate cancellation, which would take effect immediately and for which the unused remainder of your service month would be credited.

Again, this is primarily for informational purposes for those reading this thread.  It sounds like Liz is helping the OP.  🙂

Thanks Gabe. Liz has been a huge help and things are resolved. Thank you for your input. 

Good morning,

Glad to have helped, Burgerbitz!

Thanks for that post, GabeU, that's more detailed than my explanation!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!