Charging customer for HughesNet equipment repairs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Whspryder
New Poster

Charging customer for HughesNet equipment repairs

I am so frustrated about my the internet service provided HughesNet.  I had never in my whole life experience such a bad customer service from a hugh company before. I moved into a urual area in OK and the only available Internet service provider is HughesNet (go figure). The installation went well but after a few weeks the speed didn't  live up to as advertised. Slow speed, not able to watch NetFlix (buffers every minute or so). Forward to now when a windy storm passed by our Internet service is very spotty, comes on/off random time of the day (no system light on the router).  Called HughesNet technical support to run a few test which failed (obviously). Have to send a technician out to my area through a 3rd party contractor and charging 120.00.  Never heard of a company charging the customer to fix their own equipment that barely works half the time. Though the Internet service supposed to be working 99.999 percent of the time. **bleep** kind of service are we a customer paying for?  This is uter rediculus. Footing a bill for the customer to pay for your faulty equipment.

1 REPLY 1
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

There is a charge involved in sending a technician; this is stated in the subscriber agreement. The equipment is not faulty; it is malfunctioning or broken and needs to be repaired, and this incurs a charge that we subscribers need to pay. 

As for speed issues, if  and when you'd like that addressed here, please post the details under the Tech Support section. You will also need to troubleshoot by running speed tests using the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Satellite internet is not ideal for streaming. Congestion causes the buffering you see. If you want to watch TV you may want to look into DirecTV or a similar provider. Those work differently than satellite internet and don't buffer at all. 

Internet providers don't seem to want to be bothered with rural subscribers; HughesNet fills that void by providing satellite internet. You could always call the cable suppliers and ask them why they don't want rural customers.