Data Usage weirdness...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bozilas
New Poster

Data Usage weirdness...

Hello folks --- Hoping someone can bring some clarity to this issue...

I have a new install (4 days old) with a 25 gig account.   After some pretty heavy usage, I've noticed that my Service Plan data as well as my Bonus Data do NOT drop as expected.

Im monitoring them with the hughest net data Meter software, AS well as logging in to the account.   

And while it's a nice fantasy to think that I am really getting this much "free" data --- my concern is that it's actually dropping without an accurate update.    

Can anyone offer any insight?  I really want to avoid having to buy more data, or a nasty suprise of having a slowed down connection....

Thanks for any help,

Boz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Bozilas

First, welcome to the Community.  

With new sign ups, the normal monthly data actually resets daily for the first twenty days.  So, rather than it reducing day by day, what you've used and depleted from your monthly amount today will be replaced by tomorrow.  

Hughesnet does this as a courtesy to allow new users to be able to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would normally be your monthly data alottment.  Sometimes people have been offline for a while, and getting a few devices to current could wipe out someone's monthly data in a very short amount of time, so they do the initial 20 days of data resets so that doesn't happen.  

So, nope, nothing's wrong.  You're actually getting that much data right now.  🙂

Just keep an eye on it.  And remember, after twenty days this will stop, then your data will have to last for the last ten or eleven days in your monthly data cycle, then will reset and become a normal monthly data reset.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU

@Bozilas

First, welcome to the Community.  

With new sign ups, the normal monthly data actually resets daily for the first twenty days.  So, rather than it reducing day by day, what you've used and depleted from your monthly amount today will be replaced by tomorrow.  

Hughesnet does this as a courtesy to allow new users to be able to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would normally be your monthly data alottment.  Sometimes people have been offline for a while, and getting a few devices to current could wipe out someone's monthly data in a very short amount of time, so they do the initial 20 days of data resets so that doesn't happen.  

So, nope, nothing's wrong.  You're actually getting that much data right now.  🙂

Just keep an eye on it.  And remember, after twenty days this will stop, then your data will have to last for the last ten or eleven days in your monthly data cycle, then will reset and become a normal monthly data reset.  

Allow me to reply from the utopia of free data, 😉 

Thanks so much --- Concise and thorough reply and it makes total sense.  

I shall enjoy these 20 days in your honor sir, and after that -- remember the good ol' days.

Thanks again,

Boz

We are new members, as well. Yesterday, with 26 days to go on my plan, I am down to 51%. Today, it's down to 45%, and we weren't even home for most of yesterday. 

I live in the country and have very bad cell coverage, so I have wireless calling enabled, but again, I wasn't home for most of the day. My husband does not have this capability with his cell phone, and I got only one call last night.

I do have a wireless printer and both our laptops, but we haven't watched any videos at all, just browsing static pages. 

I don't understand what is happenning to my data. I can't see where it's going, except the printer.

GabeU

@jrjan1

Printers can use a good deal of data with them "phoning home", but the only way to know what's using the data is to dig, so to speak.  

The following thread may help.  But, if you would like further help in figuring out what is using the data, you should start a new topic in the Tech Support section, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while within said section.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

I am also curious about this. I appreciate the free data on startup, but how am I supposed to know if I need to upgrade/downgrade my plan if I have no way of knowing how much data we average? Is there no way to find out how much was used during this period?
GabeU

@AngelaWilkes

Even though your data resets during the first twenty days, your usage history should still reflect what you have used each day.  

You can also just wait until the relaxed bandwidth period is over to find out what you are using.  If you realize that it's not enough data you always have the option of upgrading your plan.  There isn't a time limit for that.  With regard to finding that the data plan you have is larger than you need, I believe you are limited to downgrading once per year, but I don't know how it affects discounts, and I'm not positive about once per year limit, either. 

Also, though I don't know what you have for devices, if you use Windows based computers, you can install Glasswire, which is free.  It monitors the data usage of the computer it's installed on, and also tells you just what's using it, as in programs and apps.  This can come in handy if you are using a lot of data, but don't know why.   

Glasswire