cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not get Hughs Net

Highlighted
New Poster

Do not get Hughs Net

I have had Hughs net for about 4 months. Worst internet ever. Oh this is the fastest internet in your area says the man on the phone. I dont think so. He is just trying to make a buck. I have called customer service with no help from them except they try to sell me a more expensive package. Slow internet. DatA RUNS OUT IN 5 MINUTES. Oh you can buy data tokens. Um no. So stupid. I am not rich. I want out of my contract with all fees waived. This is the worst internet ever. At least with At&t it didnt go out everytime it was cloudy or rained. Yall do not give what you promise.
5 REPLIES
Senior Instructor

Re: Do not get Hughs Net

So... Why exactly do you fee your fees should be waived?  When signing up for service, you are offered plans based upon their data allowance size and what you state that you plan to use the service for, and speeds are advertised as upto.

Teaching Assistant

Not an unlimited service, it is capped by plan selected. Really need to research how much data things use before signing up for a limited service. Truth is, 10-20-30 even 50 GB seems like a lot but not really if you expect to stream video 24/7 or do other data intensive things.

I live in a place where other choices are slow copper DSL and extremely expensive cell 4g LTE (more expensive than HughesNet data).

So, kinda glad I have satellite Internet, even if a bit expensive . Using it for about 13 years now, an adjustment but just a bit of knowledge and monitoring can make it usable for most anything. Except cutting the cable and streaming 24/7.

My wife is happy with the service, means I am happy also. She does quite a bit of YouTUbe shorts and longs at 240p and some Netflix at low definition. Looks great on her tablet and truthfully Netflix looks fine at low definition on our 55" TV. Granted YouTube at 240p looks like crap on a large TV.

Assistant Professor

JamStrong wrote:
I have had Hughs net for about 4 months. Worst internet ever. Oh this is the fastest internet in your area says the man on the phone. I dont think so. He is just trying to make a buck. I have called customer service with no help from them except they try to sell me a more expensive package. Slow internet. DatA RUNS OUT IN 5 MINUTES. Oh you can buy data tokens. Um no. So stupid. I am not rich. I want out of my contract with all fees waived. This is the worst internet ever. At least with At&t it didnt go out everytime it was cloudy or rained. Yall do not give what you promise.

You can't run out of data in five minutes unless you have very little left, and if your data is running out very quickly that means your speed is very good and it has subsequently gotten slower because you've run out of said data.  This would also correspond with the suggestion to buy tokens.  

When you've utilized all of your data your service speed will be reduced to as low as or lower than 1Mbps.  

If you'd like help in learning how to use less data, including installing apps and adjusting settings, please post in the Tech Support section.   Your speed being reduced due to your data being exhausted is not grounds for breaking the contract without the ETF.  

In the meantime, the following threads may help...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

@jmanning

Please refrain from violating the Community Guidelines and/or Terms of Service.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

How is it false advertising?  All plans are sold based upon data allowance, and speeds are advertised as upto 25Mbps.  Speeds are not guaranteed, this is written in the contract, and is stated in fine print on the screen of your TV in the commercials, as well as at the bottom of the Hughesnet website when signing up for service.