Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevef
Junior

First billing?

Ok, now I'm getting worried.

I switched from Gen 4 to Gen 5.

Reason: I read on the Intenret, that it's going to be 5 dollars cheaper / month to go from Dish to Hughes.

At Dish, no one charged us for any installation. But now I see that now we might get charged?

I'm also worried because of the rental fee thing. I read it's $4.99. Is it though? I'm not sure, as the salesman didn't tell anything about it.

Also,l the salesman said he'll charge us for $9.99. Well, he did. Then 1 dollar more. Then another $1.69.

$12.70 is not $9.99 at all. For people who make 200 dollars a day is probably not a big deal, but my family is way under tha poverty level. We can't afford this. Also why can't we see anything about any exact numbers about the monthly bills? All I see is 59.99. So it's all? And taxes? If it's not all, then it should be metioned. Is the installation was free?

Wher do I turn off auto-paying? Why is it even turned on now? Obviously if they charging my card randomly, then I can't have it turned on. 

I have a feeling that my family is getting into trouble. Suspicious overcharging in the first 2 days? What is going to happen in the next 24 months? No one overcharged us at Dish, ever. They never charged anything for installation either. Yet, at this point we don't even know what is going on, and we are scared, if we have to pay even more than what we paid to Dish, even though the whole point of switching to Hughes, because of the promise of a lower monthly fee. 😕

We paid $72 at Dish, every month, for the lowest service 10/50. Taxes included, there was no install fee or anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@stevef wrote: 

I'm also worried because of the rental fee thing. I read it's $4.99. Is it though? I'm not sure, as the salesman didn't tell anything about it.

The lease fee for Gen5 equipment is $14.99 per month.  And yes, the lease fee is every month.  It appears, however, that you may be getting a $5 discount every month.  A rep will have to verify that.   

@stevef wrote:

Wher do I turn off auto-paying? Why is it even turned on now? Obviously if they charging my card randomly, then I can't have it turned on.  

You have to call to request invoice billing.  866-347-3929.  Please be aware that there is a $5 fee for invoice billing. 

@stevef wrote:

Can a company collect Property Tax? Isn't that a local government's job? I never seen any company collecting it. Sales Tax is different. But I see even that got callected, so what is "Property Tax" that companies collect? 

HughesNet must collect the taxes that are required by law.   

@stevef wrote:

I seen 49.99 for the cheapest one, yet it's 59.99 on the website. So, if it's $59.99, and the Lease is $14.99, + paying sales tax, then how is this going to be cheaper than paying $72? 

Judging by the breakdown, you may have a $10 credit per month off of the Service Plan cost.  

@stevef wrote:

But no contract to read and sign? Terms of service? User agreement? We read of signed nothing of those. No one sent us any paperwork, not even a PDF file or a link. 

You can see the legal info, including the Terms of Service and User Agreement, here.  Additionally, agreeing to the service and utilizing the service constitutes agreeing to the contract.  

@stevef wrote:

I still can't find turning off the auto-payment. I will pay with Credit Card each month, but I don't want any company automatically charging me on random days, not telling me what for, and MAYBE putting it on a bill, that is a mess and shows no details.

Again, to change to invoice billing you need to call.  The company doesn't randomly charge you.  When you first upgrade there will be prorated charges.  Once your first month of normal charges begins, that's what it will be every month, on the same date, unless and until a promotional discount ends, you purchase data tokens, you upgrade your service or your state and/or local taxes change.  

A rep will have to verify specific charges and your other specific questions regarding fees, like the property taxes.  The reps are on M-F from 8AM to 5PM EST.  They usually answer within a day or two.  

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19