HughesNet Gen5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TampaGal
Sophomore

HughesNet Gen5

I tried to call yesterday about changing from my Gen4 plan to the posted Gen5 service special of Gen5/20gb @ $49.99 per month and got hung up on. Is this normal? If it can be done, lets do it. If not just let me know - don't hang up. I love that when I complained about my speed something was done. I now am running at a good speed. I asked about that, too. I am interested in knowing what was done to correct that. Really curious, not complaining.
6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Since I had the same thing happen more than once tonight I am thinking they must be using the internet to make their calls. I was either hungvup on or disconnected/dropped as many times as my internet went out. Finally got frustraed and shut it all down.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" I love that when I complained about my speed something was done. I now am running at a good speed."

I'm confused a bit by this statement. Did you expect the company to ignore your request for a fix? 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I tried to call yesterday about changing from my Gen4 plan to the posted Gen5 service special of Gen5/20gb @ $49.99 per month and got hung up on."

I would try calling again a few times before making the assumption that people are hanging up on me. Once can easily be an accident.

Well tonight I called twice and either got hung up on or the call dropped. I went on line, and after my speed being great Saturday tonight is horrible! I tested on testmynet and speeds were at 132kbps - 184 kbps with one instance of over 300kbps. I tried posting here and the internet dropped twice. I really want to switch to Gen5 and if that works get voice service added, but if this is going to be typical I'm best off terminating, despite the fees. I had to post this from my phone since internet is not working solid. I'm in Tampa, Florida, with clear skies, warm temps, and a very direct view of the sky. Something happened for the weekend speed to be so good, then get so bad now. What's the deal? Isthis normal?? Been with Hughes since 3/7 and all I can say is OMG! 😞

This is true I am in Mojave Desert california and we get reallly high hurricane winds over 100mph.  My hughesnet may slow down intermittently but there is really no effect at all since the high winds are isolated to my area.  Hughesnet only acted up when all of California was flooding from that huge rainstorm.  While a river ran through my driveway out to the street and sinkholes opened up several blocks away from here the hughesnet slowed down dramatically.   Since I never get dropped connection.  Mine is always on 24/7 with up to 5 people (1 computer 4 tablets) on at the same time and no problems except speed because of sharing. I have come to think that maybe Hughesnet satellite internet is specifically for us rural out in the deserts and mountains and wilderness's where no DSL or Cable TV is available but Hughesnet is.  I think the signal in a major city or town cant reach as easy the dish because of major interferance.  Where I am so isolated I have 0 interference from radio, cable tv or DSL.  We share a landline party type phone so nobody (10 People) all dropped landlines and have their cell phones only. so nobody has a landline out here anymore either.

Does anyone as rural as I am have the same meltdowns and speed problems as the rest of the people?? 

Are the people with the most problems in a major city or town?? 

You have to think in a city like Los Angeles your direct view of the sky is not so direct with all the activity in the skies above LA from LAX and every direction??

All the radio waves.  Your radio spectrum is totally full of activity all day every day as well.

There is alot to consider maybe hughesnet is truly meant for the ruralites instead of the suburbanites who should maybe stick to DSL service. something I know nothing about because I will never have it.