cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.

Freshman

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.

Thanks Maratsade.  HugesNet was the one who informed the government I was receiving the phone service so they could tax me. I was told the tax was on the phone service when I called about the taxes going up. At that point I discontinued the service since I was at the end of the contract and the lag in the service caused a lot of talking over the other person on the line. If HughesNet informed the government I was receiving the service they should be able to inform them I am no longer receiving it? Now I am wondering how many others are still paying a state tax while no longer receiving a service. I have also been informed on two seperate occasions that the issue had been resolved by HughesNet and this was not so.

Assistant Professor

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.

I have to agree @pattymotley, it was the Hughes voice service that started the tax being billed to your Hughes account. Once you stop that service there has to be some communication between HughesNet and the state taxing authority to stop the tax collection. Simple as that.

Professor

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.

OK, so to me (I've got very little experience with taxes), it sounds like it should be Hughesnet (their accounting department or similar) who needs to fix this (it's similar to when you get sales tax applied to a purchase and then you return the purchase, the sales tax you paid is refunded too, and by the merchant, not the state).  I imagine that if you contact the state they will tell you the same thing, that you need to contact the company, but I would contact the state just in case anyway, to cover all the bases.  I would send them an email.

 

It looks like someone at  Hughesnet has acknowledged this is an error on their part and has tried to apply a fix (twice!), but it hasn't taken. Maybe it needs to be kicked up the chain to a different department or something.

 

Any accountants on this site?  Care to chime in?

 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

 

@pattymotley wrote:

Thanks Maratsade.  HugesNet was the one who informed the government I was receiving the phone service so they could tax me. I was told the tax was on the phone service when I called about the taxes going up. At that point I discontinued the service since I was at the end of the contract and the lag in the service caused a lot of talking over the other person on the line. If HughesNet informed the government I was receiving the service they should be able to inform them I am no longer receiving it? Now I am wondering how many others are still paying a state tax while no longer receiving a service. I have also been informed on two seperate occasions that the issue had been resolved by HughesNet and this was not so.


 

Distinguished Professor III

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.

Is it possible that the tax being shown is for the internet or the lease of the equipment?  I only ask as I don't know what you're seeing.  I do know that they told you it was for the phone, though.  

 

I pay four taxes on my bill.  State and county for the equipment lease and a state and county excise tax.  Gotta love NY taxes.  Smiley Tongue  

 

Capture.JPG 


AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Moderator

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.

Patty,

After researching, the telecommunication taxes are not related to the phone service, it is actually relative to the internet service itself. I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Felicia

Distinguished Professor III

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.


@Hardy wrote:

Patty,

After researching, the telecommunication taxes are not related to the phone service, it is actually relative to the internet service itself. I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Felicia


That's what I was wondering.  I know that the term "telecommunications" can be a bit confusing when it comes to taxes and such, especially state to state.  It seems that it would only apply to something having to do with phones, whether home, cell or some type of VOIP service, like HughesNet Voice, but in practice it can mean internet service, too.  


AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.


@GabeU wrote:

@Hardy wrote:

Patty,

After researching, the telecommunication taxes are not related to the phone service, it is actually relative to the internet service itself. I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Felicia


That's what I was wondering.  I know that the term "telecommunications" can be a bit confusing when it comes to taxes and such, especially state to state.  It seems that it would only apply to something having to do with phones, whether home, cell or some type of VOIP service, like HughesNet Voice, but in practice it can mean internet service, too.  


Thought OP might have been referring to the telecommunication charge, I have that on my bill also with no phone. It is a confusing catch all word for many data things that are not necessarily telephone related.

Professor

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.

OP wrote that "I was told the tax was on the phone service when I called about the taxes going up."  HN also seems to have acknowledged the existence of an error, twice.  Something doesn't seem quite right. 

Assistant Professor

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.


@maratsade wrote:

OP wrote that "I was told the tax was on the phone service when I called about the taxes going up."  HN also seems to have acknowledged the existence of an error, twice.  Something doesn't seem quite right. 


Well, unless a pic of exactly what charge is being referred to gets posted, I'm taking a seat on this one. 

Highlighted
Professor

Re: I keep getting taxed for a service I no longer use.

Yes, that'd certainly be useful.  

 

 


@BirdDog wrote:


Well, unless a pic of exactly what charge is being referred to gets posted, I'm taking a seat on this one.