I want to cancel my service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elwiemke
Freshman

I want to cancel my service

I want to cancel my service and will not pay termination fees I was lied to by the sales team as well as the account management team and have been going in circles with the tech support department as well as the outside tech support I was promised I could steam without problems when I signed up and that has not been the case I get speed test that are as low as 70kbps but the tech support says I get 40 mbps which has never happened and they claim my system is fine because after multiple attempts to run a speed test that completely fails because the conection is so bad then it completes the test with 13mbps briefly then goes back to slow or unable to complete the sales team guaranteed I would be able to stream and tech support tells me I will never be able to stream due to latency I have also been lied to by account management (I believe here name was penny) who said I would not have to pay the termination fees but when explaining the terms of cancleation said the only thing on my last bill would be any fees that occurred which I asked her to clarify what that would be and she said that would be any tokens purchased so I said if I never bought any tokens there would not be any fees and then after she just said I would only be charged for tokens and I asked for exact clarification that I would not be charged she added in that there would be termination fees I have been lied to multiple times and still do not have the service I was promised
15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

When you subscribed to the HughesNet Service, you expressly agreed that you would be subjected to an early termination fee in the event you canceled the service prior to expiration of the service commitment period. That's also clear in the subscriber agreement.  

See http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

If you would like speed issues addressed on this site, you will need to follow the protocol outlined here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

To cancel the service, you will  need to call the customer service number (866-347-3292). 

If you've had the service for less than 3 months, you can request a sales call review to see what was said by the agent and by you. 

Yes review the conversations I have been lied to by both the sales team and account management hughesnet is not keeping your end of the contract i have run the tests through hughesnets service and spent hours on the phone trying to get support with no resaults at all
maratsade

If the service call is still available, the HN reps on this site can pull  it and review it.  The process takes up to 7 business days, and you will receive a private message with the results.

@Damian 

GabeU

@Elwiemke 

What was allegedly said in the following just isnt' true... "tech support tells me I will never be able to stream due to latency".   Many HughesNet customers, including myself, are able to stream without issue, regardless of the high latency.  Though higher latency can affect streaming, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will.  The Video Data Saver and the page about it, as well as many posts regarding data usage while streaming, demonstrate that many people stream with HughesNet.  

Regarding the Data Tokens, though I can't quite accurately discern what's going on with the "paragraph" being difficult to read due to a lack of punctuation, if it's concerning a question of refunds, unused Data Tokens are not refundable.  If you never bought any Data Tokens, on the other hand, you wouldn't be charged for any.

While on tech support I was told by a manager that I would not be able to stream due to latency that is exactly what the manager told me

As for your second comment the lady in account management had said that I would not have to pay a termination fee. While she was going over the terms of the cancleation she said the only thing on my final bill would be any fees that occurred in the last month and I asked her what those fees would be, to which she responded any tokens purchased so I asked her if i did not purchase any tokens there would be no fees where she then said that I would have a termination fee which she had previously said I would not have to pay and did not originally say was in the fees she only said that purchased tokens were in the fees.
GabeU

@Elwiemke wrote:
While on tech support I was told by a manager that I would not be able to stream due to latency that is exactly what the manager told me 

And, as I stated, what you were allegedly told is incorrect.  Plenty of people with HughesNet stream.  If HughesNet did not support streaming, they would not have bothered creating the Video Data Saver and the pages of information concerning it, nor would there be FAQ pages dedicated to the different aspects of streaming with HughesNet.  Nor would there be many posts concerning data usage while streaming and how to mitigate it.  Plenty of people stream with HughesNet. 

https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/what-is-video-data-saver

http://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/progressive-and-adaptive-streaming

https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

It's likely that the tech was conflating streaming with real time online gaming, the latter of which does not work with HughesNet due to the high latency.  

Regarding Data Tokens, if you did not purchase any since the beginning of your current billing month you will not be billed for any.  If you did, you will.

Gabe you are completely missing what is being said

A "manager" at tech support said I would not he able to stream while trying to trouble shoot.

And a member of account management said I would not have to pay an early termination fee but when I asked for what would be on the final bill if I canceled she said any fees that occurred which she said would be purchased tokens she did not include any termination fees. When I said if I did not buy any tokens there would be no fees she then changed it to say there would be an early termination fee
GabeU

@Elwiemke 

And apparently you're missing MY point, which is that what YOU WERE TOLD regarding latency and streaming is incorrect.  Unless your latency is inordinately high, which you made no mention of, the latency has nothing to do with your inability to stream, so what the "manager" stated to you is factually incorrect.  If it was inordinately high it most certainly could affect streaming, and tech support and/or engineering would be trying to figure out why and where the problem lies.  It's very likely that your streaming issue has to do with congestion and/or some other issue, but not latency.   

As for the last part, thank you for the clarification.

maratsade

Unfortunately, all that the HN people can pull is your sales call, that is, the first call when an agent told you about the service. They don't have access to any other calls, but they may be able to check your account and see the notes the people you talked to wrote there (if they wrote any notes).  I'm sure they'll do their best to sort this out for you.  

Elwiemke wrote:
Gabe you are completely missing what is being said

A "manager" at tech support said I would not he able to stream while trying to trouble shoot.

And a member of account management said I would not have to pay an early termination fee but when I asked for what would be on the final bill if I canceled she said any fees that occurred which she said would be purchased tokens she did not include any termination fees. When I said if I did not buy any tokens there would be no fees she then changed it to say there would be an early termination fee

HughesNet is like "the Hotel California" without the lovely place. You can cancel but never be able to leave (unless you want to spend a huge sum of money (my termination fee was supposedly $572). No explanation as to what it was made up of (I thought $400 was max) or a copy of the contract or calls. I could call them another 20 times and get the same runaround, I'm sure. I've had HughesNet twice (should have learned the first time), and I have yet to have a good experience ... with anything.  Good luck! 

GabeU

@LakinL2 

The ETF for residential internet subscribers starts at $400 for the first 90 days after activation, then lessens by $15 per month thereafter.  For HughesNet Voice, it's $10 times the number of months left of the 24 month commitment.  

https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

Business subscribers have a different ETF structure.  

What is the business exaggerated fee schedule? Even $400 is not reasonable. Who else in the industry can charge that or actually receives that kind of money for someone canceling? If I had had anything better than dial-up speed, I'd still be with HughesNet. It wasn't worth the time, hasstle, phone calls and so forth. 

maratsade

Have you already cancelled your account?

LakinL2 wrote:

I'd still be with HughesNet. It wasn't worth the time, hasstle, phone calls and so forth. 

GabeU

@LakinL2 wrote:

What is the business exaggerated fee schedule? Even $400 is not reasonable. Who else in the industry can charge that or actually receives that kind of money for someone canceling? If I had had anything better than dial-up speed, I'd still be with HughesNet. It wasn't worth the time, hasstle, phone calls and so forth. 

Posting such info only for the purpose of ridicule is pointless.  

maratsade

" Who else in the industry can charge that or actually receives that kind of money for someone canceling? "

Verizon, Mediacom, Frontier......