Inaccurate Data Usage Reporting

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottD
New Poster

Inaccurate Data Usage Reporting

I am a new customer trying to figure out how much data we're using. All of the reporting tools I've looked at show different information. I tried dealing with chat support, and then phone support neither of which were able to provide an accurate solution. The last phone support call (124734097), I was assured that the information directly on my modem/router is the accurate information. At that time (11AM EST on 10/26/2019) the modem showed that we had 9.5GB remaining of our 10GB plan. I just looked at the modem data again at noon (12PM EST on 10/26/2019) and it shows we have 9.9GB remaining of our 10GB plan. Obviously this is not accurate.

I have looked at 3 different places where hughesnet claims to report our data usage.

• My Hughesnet Website
  • Windows Data Usage Meter (application)
  • Modem/Router

My Hughesnet Website (https://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=Usage)

On the face of the dashboard it presently says 0.0GB used, 10GB available. This number changes periodically. If I drill down into the "usage history" this shows that I had 9.3 GB remaining to begin 10/24/2019 which is the day we had it installed, 9.7 GB reamining to start 10/25/2019 and 0 GB remaining today (10/26/2019).

Windows Data Usage Meter

This presently shows 9.8 GB of service plan data remaining. It also shows 160.1 MB downloaded and 2.5 MB uploaded. These numbers do not add up and both have changed. Earlier today it showed we had 9.3 GB of service plan data remaining but 3.6 GB downloaded and about 180MB uploaded.

Modem/Router (http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage)

As previously stated, this showed 9.5 GB remaining on our plan earlier today, but now shows 9.9 GB remaining.

This is confusing and troubling. If hughesnet cannot provide accurate reporting of data usage, how can they properly bill me or decide whether to throttle me or not? I don't think I should be responsible for data usage that has disappeared from their reporting systems if it somehow reappears at some point. How can I know when to slow down or stop using my data when the reporting tools provided are not accurate?

I tried sending all this to support via an email to document it but they don't give an email address, only a form that limits you to 255 characters which is insufficient. So this is for documentation purposes as much as it is to get help.

Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16