Information compromised

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morrisondynasty
Freshman

Information compromised

Hello! New to this and was directed by a representative to come here!
So we signed on in December.
In January we were charged $19.95 by a third party company and then the same in February.
I had no idea who this third party company was or what the charge was for so I contacted the phone number on my bank bill. Come to find out this was an IT company.
I was being charged this amount monthly because according to “IT Please” when I signed on with Hughes net we did a bundle with this company for IT services.
The services were for a computer.
We do not own a computer.
So I contacted Hughes net to find out why they had allowed this charge when we had not authorized it and they told me they did not bundle me when we signed on.
When I contacted the third-party company back to find out more information they were able to tell me exactly when I signed on with Hughes net. How did a third Party company receive my credit card information When Hughes net Doesn’t use the services of third-party companies? Did my sales representative give my information out? I would like some answers but unfortunately Hughes net cannot give them to me. Help!
26 REPLIES 26

If they can't pull up your call, it was definitely a reseller. HN holds the calls for good six months or so.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

In the past, they've said 3 or so months. 

No it’s not that they can’t it’s just that they’re not allowed. At least that’s what HN corporate told me
GabeU

@morrisondynasty 

If it's ultimately determined that the sales call from the HughesNet reseller is not available, or if it is and it doesn't show anything regarding "IT Please", I would, just as a precaution, call your financial institution and have a new card issued, if you haven't already done so.  Or, you could even do so regardless of what's found.  

The way I would do it is to call and have it replaced after I made my new payment and the payment was completed, the latter of which usually happens at least a few days after the payment is initially made.  This way you've got time for the new card to come in before the next month's payment is due, as cards can take a few weeks to arrive, though how long really depends on the financial institution issuing the card.  And this would also avoid having to use a card, even temporarily, that you don't want to have to use for a HughesNet payment.

maratsade

I may be wrong, but I think what they meant was that they (the first tier phone agents) don't have the authority to pull the calls.   The people on this site are higher up in the hierarchy, and have the authority to pull those calls.   But like Mark said, the call may not be a HughesNet one, in which case they would not be able to obtain it.  

Reading the information on your first post here, I don't think HN can really do anything much, which may be why the mods have not responded to your post.  It seems clear you got your HN account via a reseller, and they, not HN, may have sold your data to someone else, and they, not HN, subscribed you to IT Please.    HN does not offer IT Please, and does not offer bundling.  They are a separate company from the reseller. 

It seems that your best bet is to pursue this issue with the reseller, not with HN, though I continue to hope you will hear something from the mods, even if it is "yeah, we can do nothing about this because you went through a reseller." At least you'd know....  

@morrisondynasty,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I apologize for the delay in response. At this time the best I can do is search for your sales call to use as proof. This may or may not be available due to the fact that you were signed up by a reseller. The reseller company is automatically recorded on your account so we may be able to reach out to them if we do not have immediate access on our own. Please allow a few business days for this to be completed. I will post here again as soon as I have information or an update.   

-Damian