cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Google Chrome secure enough?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Re: Is Google Chrome secure enough?

Yeah, I used FF almost exclusively till ~2009ish.  Then they started that rapid update crap at some point and it turned me off a good bit as it kept breaking things.
billmiller43

Use Chrome, IF you like to have Google track all you do? I use Mozilla Firefox on my Mac, never had a problem. IE isn't available for OSX, and I won't allow any Microshaft or Google apps on my Mac. 15 years since the PC's went into the trash, and I've never looked back. I'd buy any Intel Mac and use it for all internet tasks. You can always run your PC offline. At my job we could not access the net with PC's, as they were not secure. No USB or other portable devices allowed. You can't be secure with a PC connected to the net, PERIOD! Virus programs are only added to antivirus software AFTER they are discovered. Even a font can contain one.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I knew the "never looked back" statement would be in there.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Thanks for all of the help, folks.  I think I will stick with IE for now, but I will download Firefox and try it out here and there.  I will, of course, eventually have to switch to something else being that this will be the last release of IE.  I don't care for the Edge browser one iota, so perhaps Firefox will be the answer.  I know that Chrome tracks just about everything, and that's been an ongoing complaint regarding that. 

Time will tell.  Thanks again. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
donsjgm
Junior

IMHO Chrome is the most invasive of all browsers. It wants to take over your computer. I don't like it or use it at all.
donsjgm
Junior

I do have a Windows box, 2 in fact, 3  Linux boxes (Ubuntu, CentOS and Debian) and 3 Macs. The Linux boxes stay on my LAN only except for rare occasions. The Windows computer is NOT used for anything business or personal.
I too went to Mac and "never looked back" but IMHO, Linux is a good OS.
GabeU

I have Linux Mint on a different SSD, and I enjoy using it sometimes just to goof around, but I have never done anything sensitive with it due to the fact that I had a hard time finding any free antivirus software and such for it that was Linux ready and easily installed like on a Windows system, though I know there are programs out there.  I also know that Linux is much less likely to be hack, but I still don't trust it without those types of programs.  I'm also not willing to actually pay for a virus program due to the fact that, for me, it would be a waste of money.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

I use Chrome sometimes when I'm having a problem with IE and a particular web page, but I have never used it for anything sensitive, nor gone to any of the sites on which I do anything sensitive. 

donsjgm
Junior

Gabe,
I used FF exclusively for a long time and like it very well. I went to Safari at OS X 10.10 and now at 10.11 since it syncs so well with my iPhone. Again, IMHO FF is an excellent choice.
Chris11
Alum

Hi GabeU,

Just to throw my 2 cents in. Chrome is my go to browser and after that Opera. I have found IE is probably the worst out of all the ones I have tried security wise. Just too many vulnerabilities. 

- Chris