cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Google Chrome secure enough?

Pawnee County

Re: Is Google Chrome secure enough?

Gabe Gabe Gabe!!! Anti Virus is not needed with Linux Mint nothing can be installed without you telling it, "it is OK"  There is AntiVirus in the Software Manager that scans email both in and out AVAST is one but all they are needed for is so you don't pass a Virus with Email to a Windows User.

Start using Mint for everything you do and only go to Windows when necessary soon you will find yourself not using Windows very much at all if not ever.  I was the same at first but soon discovered Mint can do it if Window can do it.  There may be some software that you use that has no Linux alternative but soon you will find out a workaround that works just fine.

You can install a .deb and other files with archive manager.  As far as other programs there are thousands in the Software Manager and Synaptic is there for upgrades.  So Gabe use it then all of a sudden you'll say, "Humm? Wonder if I should check on my Windows partition it has been a while." 
donsjgm
Junior

Gabe,
As long as ROOT access is well secured, Linux is VERY secure. Some distros don't even give root access to the administrator except by the use of the sudo cmd. Passwords are "shadowed" so even access to the sudoers file is protected.
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Chris,

Many people like Chrome and I agree with you in respect to IE but to me Chrome is too invasive.

Don  Smiley Happy
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I have no clue as to what any of that means.  LOL. I don't know what a .deb file is, either.  A file clerk named Deborah?  I'm at a loss when it comes to tech talk. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Chris11
Alum

How exactly? Because you can login using your google account? I have all control over what it accesses. Haven't had a problem.
donsjgm
Junior

Bottom Line:

Linux is Very secure!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I beginning to get that.  LOL. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Pawnee County

If you use it you will know if you don't then you wont.  It is like the movie, "If you build it they will come."
donsjgm
Junior

I don't know of anyone else who has had any problems either.
I know some "Die-Hard" Chrome advocates.
It's just a case where I don't care for it. It "calls home" like Windows10. Honestly, I never mastered it so perhaps you have "tamed" it.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor