cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Termination

New Poster

Service Termination

I would like to cancel my HughesNet service. I have been a customer since 2014. Faster and cheaper internet came into my area and I have no need for my services with HughesNet anymore.

I have called and talked to customer service. They refuse because my name is not listed as "account holder." My dad is. Now the only way I can figure that happened was during the initial set up of my internet services in 2014. He was at my house for installation because I had to work.

I have been able to call and put a hold on my service in the past and when I moved to my new house in 2019, I called and transferred the service to my new address with no issue. Now I'm being told I cannot cancel it. I need "verbal authorization" from my dad who doesn't have anything to do with any of my accounts. I asked the last representative I talked to how they verify the voice is even him and she said there was no such way to verify. I then asked if I could grab any man off the street and ask him to verbally authorize and she said, "that's your choice." What on earth is the point, she confirmed there is zero security. Talking to him is not an option right now.

I have already placed a hold on efts from Hughesnet at my bank. My modem has been unplugged since December 3rd, my last billing date was today, December 12th and a complaint was placed with the Better Business Bureau on December 2nd. I will be returning the modem, power cord and radio through certified mail this week. As far as I'm concerned, my business with HughesNet is finished. My goal now is just to get it all settled with a representative so we don't have to eventually go to arbitration. I am more than willing to provide identity proof, bank statements and my billing invoices from HughesNet to see this issue resolved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Service Termination

@kxrstx,

Thank you for reaching out. First, I want to address the "account holder" situation. It is likely your dad's card/information was provided to us during the sign up instead of your own. This automatically puts the account in his name. When it comes to securing the account, "verbal authorization " is not the only thing we require during the termination porcess. We also ask the account owner to verify account details first. 

You mentioned that you placed holds on the ETF. Does this mean you were able to cancel the account? If you were not able to do so, no ETF fees are charged until this takes place. I would also advise against stopping payment and sending the equipment back before you have officially canceled the account, as this will put the account into collections which could cause unnessecary inconveniences. Since you already submitted a BBB report, I recommend waiting until you receive a response to avoid any future issues. Updates about your report will not be provided through this community platfrom. You will be corresponding directly through email or phone regarding your report. Good luck to you and I hope things are able to be resolved. 

-Damian    

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@kxrstx,

Thank you for reaching out. First, I want to address the "account holder" situation. It is likely your dad's card/information was provided to us during the sign up instead of your own. This automatically puts the account in his name. When it comes to securing the account, "verbal authorization " is not the only thing we require during the termination porcess. We also ask the account owner to verify account details first. 

You mentioned that you placed holds on the ETF. Does this mean you were able to cancel the account? If you were not able to do so, no ETF fees are charged until this takes place. I would also advise against stopping payment and sending the equipment back before you have officially canceled the account, as this will put the account into collections which could cause unnessecary inconveniences. Since you already submitted a BBB report, I recommend waiting until you receive a response to avoid any future issues. Updates about your report will not be provided through this community platfrom. You will be corresponding directly through email or phone regarding your report. Good luck to you and I hope things are able to be resolved. 

-Damian    

View solution in original post

New Poster

I really appreciate your response, thank you for your time.

Regarding the "account holder" part, he has never used internet a day in his life. He still uses a flip phone... He wouldn't be able to answer any questions regarding the account, since every detail attached to it is mine. So, I'm not sure what else he could verify, other than being a male voice.

My response from HughesNet was already received and they very generously took my debit card off the account. The silly part is that they're going to now be sending a paper bill every month to my house, only they'll be in his name, not mine anymore. The point is moot, it's still my address.

I guess I don't understand how I could pay for something monthly for 6 years straight, being able to transfer the service to a new house and all that, to not having any say over the account.

I appreciate your advice and will consider it but I'm not bothering my dad to call a company he barely knows anything about.