cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The look of the home page.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Re: The look of the home page.

I think the video changes to, so every time it does that's more data.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Looks like those paws are on the verge of digging right in and getting ready to go!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I really shake my head when someone posts "The sales person said this plan would be all I need".

There is no way anyone can accurately account for a users browser settings, browser extensions, browsing habits and a multitude of system settings in a brief phone call.

Websites change, usually without warning. Recently, using IE, (no ad block or browser extensions) I accessed some pages of election results from MSN.com. Most of them contained auto-start video somewhere within the page ... that you didn't see right away and therefore it consumed data.

I keep IE "clean" so as to have a source of browser comparison if needed, and yes I could have switched to another browser and avoided that extra usage.

There is no way anyone could give more than general ball park figure. If a user leaves an auto refresh tab open it is going to use data like mad.

That really is more of a case of a user not understanding how their computer and a constantly changing internet operate.

Its a user problem, not an ISP problem.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It is what unlimited cable allowance has created and that appears to be coming to a halt. Even cable can't keep up with unlimited allowance in the far term. Unless some super duper compression technology comes along. People on cable internet don't have a clue how much data they use.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

The page looks different today.  Has HN updated it?
maratsade

I really shake my head when someone posts "The sales person said this plan would be all I need".

It was suggested to me that 10 GB would be plenty, but I went with 15. The user should determine this, perhaps do a bit of research before signing up.  The ISP provides a bucket of data. How to use it and manage it is the user's responsibility.
maratsade

She looks ready to catch some vermin!
maratsade

She looks ready to catch some vermin!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

maratsade

I remember the announcement about this community site, but not this one.  Both look different.   Not sure I like the new look for the community site....It seems clunkier.