Hughesnet Community

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lea

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

We have had HughesNet for several years. Nothing has changed with our computer settings. Everything updates in the middle of the night during free time. Our wifi has a 24 character password! Our neighbors all have DSL. Our allowance is being used up overnight while no one is using it. Went to bed with 32% and have Zero this morning.
178 REPLIES 178
Lea

lol maybe I have an extra zero there.  But definitely my line zigzags across the field and its to far.
Lea

I upgraded my firmware on my Netgear last night about 11:30, after I used a token.  This morning I refilled to 99%.  
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

interesting. Im hoping thats what was causing this, let me know how your data usage is this afternoon please.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Mine was really bad. wires from the road to the house were 1/4mile and shot.
Lea

I had 94% the first chance I got to use the computer.  There was someone on before me this morning. Looks like the refill went ok.  My son got married last night, so I wasn't around to see exact numbers.  I'll see what happens with it.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Sounds good. and tell your son Congratulations 
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

on a funny note yesterday I turned my computer on and checked my email then looked at my status meter and it showed that I had used 242MB so I start downloading some software to monitor my network to see what was causing it and while it was downloading I walked in to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and see my 6 year old daughter is happy and watching My Little Pony on her computer so I get back to my computer and it dawns on me we dont have that DVD so I go back in the living room and see shes on Netflix. I felt so relieved when I realized she had used the data but kinda dumb that I didnt actually check the other computers in the house before I panicked. lol
Lea

Sat down to check data usage at 1:30, meter said 85%.  I turned wifi off on my phone ( I'm testing everything) it had been on all day.  Within 30 seconds my meter dropped to 52%.  and within the next few minutes to 47%.  I walked away for about 10 minutes, came back to 45%.  I know that I did not use that much data!
Lea

I posted the above comment and immediately used another 1%
Lea

and another 1% for that comment!!
Lea

Left the computer and came back at 3:05 pm data dropped another 1%. Checked email 4 times and got error messages that it could not connect to hughsnet server. Data dropped from 42% to 39% and I didn't even get my mail.  Ok, Hughesnet, whats next? Frustration is setting in!
Lea

In the last 2 minutes I dropped to 38% by signing into Facebook and no the videos do not automatically play.  Was on just for a quick check and signed out.  Now data is 38%
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I dont think it should drop that fast either based on what little you were doing, you mentioned that you have a Iphone, what model? the reason I ask is because the IOS 8.0.0 - 8.0.1 had issues with wifi connections and can cause data lose due to retrying to connect, keep in mind im just guessing here. what I would suggest next is to only connect 1 computer to your router and do some browsing and see if your data seems to be dropping at what you would call a normal level, if 1 computer does ok then add the other one and see, if its ok with the 2nd computer then add your other computers or devices 1 at a time until you start seeing the data dropping at that point remove the devices 1 at a time in reverse order to see if the drop stops. another option is to download a program Net Guard here is a link to it and its free. you will need to install it on all computers you connect to your router and it will tell you what programs are using data and how much. unfortunately Im not familiar with this software but there are a couple of other customers on here that know it very well, they are Gwalk900 and sgoshe they can help you understand how to read it.
 http://www.cucusoft.com/netguard.aspx
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

it really sounds like you have some one else on your network you dont know about. Im not familiar with netgear routers, does it have the ability to log data usage by ip address? and can you log in to the router and see all wireless connected devices?
Lea

Unplugged the router at about 3:30 and plugged it back up at about 6:30.  Usage started dropping by 1% while browsing the web.  I think it was probably a little fast, but nothing I can say for sure.  It just seems that there was a time that I could look at every page I wanted to and use 5% maybe.  Of course I think the internet was to slow, but thats a whole different story.  We have not updated our phones to the 8.  My husbands phone has no apps other than the ones that came with the phone.  He has been on wi fi from day one for 10 months. It is a work phone and has to stay connected.  We have never had a problem with it draining our data.  When I turn the wifi off on my phone and watch my cell data it does not use that much.  It has used 176 MB in 3 weeks and that is using extra apps that I have downloaded.  They are not set to update anything without permission.  I'll try to check the log data on the router today.  
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Lea what web browser do you use? if it Chrome install ad blocker pro its free and will block a lot of unwanted data drain
Taylor Klett

recall apple updates are not "controlled" (at least from what I can tell), they just happen.  If there is a way to control when the apps/ ios is updated, would be nice to know about.  Good luck. Also: if you have Amazon pads, they are even worse about uncontrolled downloads and worse, if you watch a video on them from prime, it sets the HIGHEST download possible, and cannot be controlled like in Netflix.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Glad Im to cheap to get a prime account. lol 🙂
Ron4

Charles,

Did you have her check her power word?

The theory of hunting for a signal may have some merit.

Ron

back to the garden.

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Good point Ron I actually thought that the Mod had run remote diag. but it does not appear that they did. Lea if you open your browser and type in 192.168.0.1 and hit enter and on that page at the top click on system status and post your signal and normalized power word please.
Liz

Hi Lea,

I just wanted to add that our remote diagnostics show the HughesNet equipment looks fine from our end. We're glad to see you working with Charles to try to figure out what is using your data. We'll check your usage data as well to see if there's anything insightful to share. In the meantime, as you troubleshoot, we'll add token data allowance to your account. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!