cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

Lea

Re: Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

Carla Spradling

Lea, I have to tell you that I've been having the same problems for a couple of weeks. Finally got fed up with it today and called in for help. After I explained my problem, the person I talk to proceeded to tell me about a new plan with new equipment and only a 1 year commitment before they even tried to help me troubleshoot the problem. I asked why would I want to start a new plan, get new equipment and of course, sign a new service contract, when I didn't even know what was going on with my current equipment. There may be nothing significant wrong. I was then told that old satellites are being turned off all the time and this will prevent my service from being interrupted. When I said no and I want to find out whats going on with my current set up I was given a lesson on how the internet works and how data is exchanged and that it may even be my coffee pot using the data! I'm following along with the troubleshooting, like a good girl, but I've got a feeling that most of this is happening so Hughesnet can sell me new equipment and make me sign a new contract. Thats about how it happened 3 years ago and that contract was up exactly a year ago. I've been reading this thread and have found several things to try, Thanks for your help everyone, but I'm very doubtful that anything with change including them trying to sell me more "stuff". We have 2 devices and a router. Thats it. The router is Linksys brand. We have a laptop which is wireless and a desktop computer that is not. I've turned off all of the updates. Here's something I can't figure out...when checking my data usage, the chart shows usage during all 60 minutes between 12-1pm this afternoon. Our data ran out at 12:25. ( it actually dropped from 46% left at 11:55am to 0% at 12:25pm - a half hour of typing 1 email!) That's when I logged off and called Hughes. How could I have data usage for 35 more minutes if I wasn't even on?
I'm as frustrated as you are!
Liz

Great, thanks for the screenshot, Lea! Just to confirm, at 7:14 am today, before you disconnected the modem, you only used 37 MB. Then when you reconnected the modem and checked the Status Meter again, it still said 37 MB used as shown above in your screenshot?

Now we can try connecting JUST your computer to the HughesNet modem. Do not connect your router, as we do not want additional devices on your network using data. With your computer connected directly to the modem, please take note of the time when you connected the computer and take a new screenshot of your Status Meter. Use your computer as you normally would and keep track of what you do (Streaming video? Facebook? Checking email? Offline work?). To help us better evaluate your usage, it would be best to have at least an hour of usage logged. We'll update your data token allowance to perform this troubleshooting without needing to stop short. After you're done using the computer, please take another screenshot of your Status Meter so we can see how much data was used during that single computer session.

We really appreciate you working with us to help us address your concerns, thank you. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi Carla,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We're glad to see you found the information in this thread useful. If you would like us to assist with your data usage concerns, please create a new post and include a case number or your modem's serial number so we can locate your account.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Carla you should probably check and make sure you router has the latest firmware in it because there is a issue with Linksys routers and data drain, this may not be the problem but its best to update just to be sure
Carla Spradling

Thanks Charles, I will do that as soon as I finish the "5 hours of unplugged router" test. Then, if I still have problems, I will start a new thread and continue from there. Thanks for the help. It's greatly appreciated!
Ron4

Charles,

I've seen in the past where you have been helpful in explaining to folks with the HN9000 on checking if they had the correct version of the meter for their plan, if the software in their modem was the compatible version, if they were on the correct gateway, and if Hughes had set things on their end to make the meter operate correctly. Perhaps you could go through that with Lea to be sure everything is working together as it should?

Also note the properties on the image she posted. Could that cloud service have any bearing on the data being used up rapidly?

Ron

Lea

Actually at 7:14 when I disconnected I had only used 2MB and when I turned it back on it was 2MB.  I did not save my screenshot in the right format and was not able to figure out how to get it uploaded.  I did another screenshot later and uploaded it so that you could see my meter.  I will do the next step tomorrow.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Sounds great Carla, just holler if you need help
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Hi Ron, looks like the newest meter, Hughes has managed to make it compatible with all modems I think. well Im pretty sure, lol other than on the 9000 it has that big blank spot where the bonus/free period is. the cloud service your talking about Im guessing you mean when you clicked on the pic, if so that just how all pics show up on her if Im not mistaken I will read through all this and see if theres anything I can add but it looks like Lix has a good grip on this. Smiley Happy