Hughesnet Community

if been having problems how can I get out of contract without early termination fees is there a way

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevenfrommo
Sophomore

if been having problems how can I get out of contract without early termination fees is there a way

just need to get out of my contract been having problems since started tried working things out but still same slow bad service can not do anything like watch movies,or on demand dont use wifi or nothing that might take away data only ben 11 days already down to 50% of data left & thats after not being to do anything but check email & facebook please help me to get out of this with no big fees please thanks

51 REPLIES 51
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"That's your guys solution for the customer tell them to settle for lower quality videos."

It's a capped service. There's only so much data. That solution saves data, but you can always continue to buy more data and watch HD as much as you want.

" Would you buy a steak at a fancy restaurant for 20 bucks and be ok with getting a mcdouble from mcdonalds instead? No, you wouldn't, you would be upset and you would never go back to that restaurant again."

Would you ask for a filet mignon at McDonald's?  Most reasonable people would not, because they would know that's not how McDonald's works.

"you would never go back to that restaurant again."

That's your choice as a consumer. You can always drop the service, and if you're still under contract, you can pay the fee to break it and you can then walk away and find another ISP.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@slowunit420 wrote:

That's your guys solution for the customer tell them to settle for lower quality videos. I don't know if his/her service is like mine but I can't even get netflix to load even when I have Data to burn.

Come on though what's wrong with you people, that is your solution lower the quality? Would you buy a steak at a fancy restaurant for 20 bucks and be ok with getting a mcdouble from mcdonalds instead? No, you wouldn't, you would be upset and you would never go back to that restaurant again.

It is a capped service and always will be. You can stream in HD but then will use up all your data with just a few shows. Satellite internet is not steak, it doesn't claim to be. As said before, it is for us folks with no other viable options.

Once the new staellite is online there will be major improvement for many customers especially those with the old HN9000 modem who choose to upgrade.

TampaGal
Sophomore

I certainly hope they do let you out in the first 30 days! I have had my service since Tuesday and I already hate it.  I am spoiled, I guess.  I am used to turning on my computer/system, and having instant internet.  No watching a meter to make sure I don't go over my data, no "special time" from 2am-8am for bonus usage (who is even awake at those times! Or if we are, we are getting ready for work - unless we have a midnight shift career), no having to sit and wait for minutes while your typing catches up to your fingers.  My VOIP (MagicJack) phone won't work on this and it's been pre-paid for three years with over two left on it, so I am not going to sign up for voice service.  I was not told about the GB allowances and this service is advertised as being "high speed internet".  The only thing it's faster than is dial up internet.  I can't believe I am not just unimpressed, but actually hate it.  For you who are also having issues, a possible solution to your problem is to contact other service providers who you may consider as an alternative and talk to them to see if they have contract buy-outs. That will be my avenue of assistance if Huges balks at disconnecting me without the ETF's.

maratsade

@TampaGal, do you have any other service providers in your area? 

@maratsade, Yes.  I switched from Spectrum after they bought out Brighthouse.  I had Brighthouse for years with no issues, cancelled when I moved.  I ended up at the same house years later and called them back out.  I got them back, and was extremely satisfied with them, and they were able to use the original cable they already had here to hook me back up.  Spectrum came along and my bill went up by $20/month. I talked them down and my very next statement they were telling me they were raising me again.  So that is when I found Hughes.  My community has no Fios, so there are not a lot of other options.  But I will be happy to pay the higher price for Spectrum than to put up with this service.  They  told me when I called to disconnect, to let me know if I am unhappy (I have to wait 30 days with Hughes) with the new provider because they would buy me out.  I am sure if they will do that, others will too.  You have to ask, and most people don't.  Good luck!!

maratsade

Well, if you have a service you like, then you should switch back.... Sometimes you have to pay more to get what you need,  though you sound like you might be able to negotiate a lower price for yourself! Smiley Happy I have Verizon here, but it's not very good and it can be more expensive. I'm delighted with Hughesnet, as it works very well for me, but I know it doesn't work for everyone.  

@maratsade, yes Verizon is VERY expensive here and their customer service is horrible!  I also have a pre-paid VOIP phone service that I can't use with Hughes and I watch movies with my Fire TV Stick, and those options being out are not making me at all happy.  My room mate has a limited minute cell plan and is on a strick budget so he is not happy now either since he may end up with no phone use within the next few weeks.  He is disabled and if he has an emergency and can't call out, that would be horrible.  I think he can still dial 911 with no service, but am not sure.  Either way, he is not loving this, either.  I am glad that you are satisfied with Hughes!  I had hoped I would be too.  Everyone has different needs and methods with which they use their service.  It's good to hear from you - enjoy your weekend!

I have been with them a little over a month and I hate it!! They never told me that there was a data cap. I have a disabled 8 yr. old that does online school and I can't even get it to get us into her live class sessions on most days and then it kicks us out. They assured me that this plan would be fine with 2 kids in online school and all of our tv watching done online through a roku. My data resets on the 10th of the month and I have the 20g package. I checked my usage and it shows that 12.1g was used on the 10th(the day it reset) and that is all it shows but yet I am out of data!! There is no freaking way we used that much data in a few hours. This place is a complete and utter scam and if they don't let me out of my contract, I will cancel my card that is used to pay the bill and let them eat it. I don't like being lied to and they are about to find that out. 

GabeU

@butterfly72974 wrote:

I have been with them a little over a month and I hate it!! They never told me that there was a data cap. I have a disabled 8 yr. old that does online school and I can't even get it to get us into her live class sessions on most days and then it kicks us out. They assured me that this plan would be fine with 2 kids in online school and all of our tv watching done online through a roku. My data resets on the 10th of the month and I have the 20g package. I checked my usage and it shows that 12.1g was used on the 10th(the day it reset) and that is all it shows but yet I am out of data!! There is no freaking way we used that much data in a few hours. This place is a complete and utter scam and if they don't let me out of my contract, I will cancel my card that is used to pay the bill and let them eat it. I don't like being lied to and they are about to find that out. 

You should start a new post to address your issues.  The sales calls are recorded and the reps can request the call to be pulled and listened to in order to see what was said to you.

With that said, it's entirely possible to use that much data in that short of time.  Depending on what's using your data it can be used VERY quickly, and with the speed of Gen5, 20GB of data, if being used full speed, can be used up in as little as an hour.  There is a plethora of things that can use data on one's system.  With that said, there are many things that can be done to curb data usage, including making adjustments to ones system and peripherals and turning things off that automatically use data.  There are also apps that can tell you EXACTLY what is using the data so you can make adjustments as needed.   

And, just as a personal piece of advice, I would try to settle this issue before you go cancelling your card and burning them on the payment to "let them eat it."  This can affect your credit report, and credit score, for years to come.  You know this.  

jkyllo1943
New Poster

would love to do the same