phishing email

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tg66577
New Poster

phishing email

I received an email from this hughnet.net address and determined it is a phishing email. Searching the support page, I found that spam@uce.gov is the recommended address to forward this email to. The forwarding did not go through so I guess that I must try another spam control address to use.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I looked at the address of the sender and it said hughnet. so that raised a red flag. Then running down the email, I saw that it was asking for a password and other info that made me tag it as phishing exercise. I'm not sure that I can do a screen shot so take my word for it as very suspicious. Hughnet?Hughesnet. I'll forward it to abuse@hughesnet as you suggest.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

How did you determine it was spam? It would help if you posted a screenshot. 

EDIT: according to this policies page, you should report the suspected spam to abuse@hughes.net

I looked at the address of the sender and it said hughnet. so that raised a red flag. Then running down the email, I saw that it was asking for a password and other info that made me tag it as phishing exercise. I'm not sure that I can do a screen shot so take my word for it as very suspicious. Hughnet?Hughesnet. I'll forward it to abuse@hughesnet as you suggest.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Thank goodness for bad spellers!

@tg66577 wrote:

Nice catch.

People falling for those kinds of phishing schemes is likely the #1 reason why the email system has so many flagged spam problems... after their email accounts have been hacked. Well, if you can call it a hack after they've handed them the access information.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.