Hughesnet Community

I guess I am not the only one with problems.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitedogmum

I guess I am not the only one with problems.

I guess I am not the only one with problems. 90% of the time I am below 25% of the speed I am paying for down loads. up loads are down about 200KBPS average. Data disappears at a rate of 200 or 300 MB and more at night when the computer is off and the modem is disconnected. Hughes never told me in order to get speed I am paying for I have to be connected directly to the modem not WiFi, take a look at the commercials, they brag about fast speed and not one computer is connected by a cord. They have lied to me constantly. They refuse to send out a tech and now the cords are becoming  loose on their modem from unplugging them so I am not getting a decent connection anymore.  I  think they only reason they have so many customer is that you have to sign up and are stuck in a contract you can't get out of for 2 years even though they violate their end of the contract. Damn...I hate this company
13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Are you saying that you are getting better speed when directly connected as opposed to using a router?

GabeU

You should also set up an account at testmy.net, and with a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, run a series of speed tests.  You should use the 12MB manual test size for download tests, and the 2MB manual test size for upload tests.  You should run a batch of five tests, with each test spaced five minutes apart.  If possible, you should run a batch of tests at various times of the day, preferably in the morning, afternoon and evening. 

Once you've run some tests, please post the results URL so the tests can be looked at.  You can do this by clicking on the Results tab, then copying and pasting the Results page URL that is in the address bar into a post.  It will look similar to this, with your account name where it says yourusername.    http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Creating the account and running the tests under that account is very important, as is using the test sizes requested and running the tests with a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, no router. 

Mark Demartine

we get a download speed of 2 mbps consistently.
GabeU

You should start your own post and follow the instructions above regarding the speed tests. 
GabeU

whitedogmum,

In regard to your data disappearing, the following post contains instructions for performing a modem isolation test to test for data leaks...

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-drain-cannot-find-the-cause?topic-reply-list...

Rebecca Hodge1

Everything you said is true. I wish I had done my research before signing their 2 year contract. Satellite internet is slower than cable internet. So I switched from Comcast. Big mistake. asked all the questions up front. I told her we are gamers, use Netflix, have tablets and smart phones. She assured me the service would be great, we'd do the same things as we did with Comcast NO NO NO NO NO.she was wrong
GabeU

Rebecca,  

I find it quite interesting that you've never started a post asking for help with your service, nor ever requested to have your sales call reviewed when it was suggested by two people that you do so. 

Instead, you post identical complaints on two threads about how you switched from Comcast to discover the service isn't the same.  Complain, but never ask for help nor do what is suggested.  The possibility of you cancelling the service without the ETF is there if you were misled, but you'd rather not take advantage of that and find it more enjoyable to complain.

Personally, if I were having such a problem with the service I would do what I could to improve it, but I guess that's just me. 

I also wonder why anyone would choose to go from a land based service to a satellite based service. 

GW
Advanced Tutor

@Mark,

A lowly speed of 2000 Mbps down and 1000 Mbps up would be a wonderful deal for me.if it was consistent. I would take that offer any day if they could reliably provide it. Trouble is, they can't even provide ANY consistent level of service with any reliability.

It's the 20% of download excursions below 200 kbps and the 20 kbps uploads that make the service insufferable.and useless.
billmiller43

Last time I checked, the data usage is done in a batch mode, not "Realtime". In other words your usage today won't show up until tomorrow.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Bill,that relates more to the "history" displays than any of the three "usage" meters.
Chris11
Alum

Hi whitedogmom,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully we can resolve this for you here. Quick question, where are you running the speed tests at? Your previous case notes also show that you've inquired about unidentified data usage as well. Seems you are familiar with the modem disconnect test. However to correctly see what is going on at your site, we are going to need screenshots. Take a look at this and follow all directions:

Please make sure to crop out your SAN. I'll be adding some token bandwidth to your account, so that you have plenty to work with while troubleshooting with us. As for speed tests. If you haven't already been running them on www.testmy.net, please head there to do them. We'll need tests throughout the day. Manual download tests of 12 MB size and manual upload tests of 2 MB size. Please post all your results here. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
Mark Demartine

woohoo testing at 11.6 mbps this morning.  new record high!
GabeU

A decent speed.