Web Acceleration Not Supported

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cybercycle1
Junior

Web Acceleration Not Supported

When investigating my slow web speed, I found that Web Acceleration (WA) is "Not Supported" on my Gen5 system.  I have reverted to using my cell phone to connect to the web.  I checked the WA settings and found it is set to enabled.  There is apparently nothing more I can do on my end and will need to have HN reset my WA to "Supported".

Hi all,

“Web Acceleration Not Supported” is a normal condition.  Hughes continuously updates configuration and technology to maximize user performance.  Web Acceleration technology developed by Hughes accelerates non-secure (HTTP) web browsing by pre-fetching certain content, minimizing the impact of the round-trip delay over the satellite.  However, the vast majority of web content is now secure (HTTPS), so Web Acceleration has no benefit for most web browsing. Hughes is turning down the Web Acceleration components in certain areas to evaluate the performance impact, if any, as part of our normal network maintenance and optimization.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Someone else is reporting the same thing, so it may be a widespread issue. 

EDIT: I see it too.  

@maratsade wrote:

Someone else is reporting the same thing, so it may be a widespread issue. 

EDIT: I see it too.  

I see that others have reported this issue.  I had a similar issue in January and Liz was able to address it.

What beam are you in? 

@maratsade wrote:

What beam are you in? 

Thank you. Beam 68 here, and I asked because I thought maybe it was a beam thing, but it appears to be more widespread than that.  

Yeah, im Beam 84. Im not sure what to think since as of right now, nothing I do that seems to be effected by web acceleration being down, is do anything wrong. But ive also been in a horrible throttle

Definately something interesting, I wonder if there was a recent modem update?

maratsade

I didn't know anything was happening until you and cybercycle mentioned it.  Things seem to be working fine right now (knock on wood).  Not sure what causes what we're seeing, but I hope whatever it is, it gets fixed soon.  🙂

EDIT: looks like reps are in our midst. The threads have been merged. 🙂

@maratsade wrote:

I didn't know anything was happening until you and cybercycle mentioned it.  Things seem to be working fine right now (knock on wood).  Not sure what causes what we're seeing, but I hope whatever it is, it gets fixed soon.  🙂

EDIT: looks like reps are in our midst. The threads have been merged. 🙂

Note: things are not working here yet. 

And I may have been wrong about the merging. Oh, well.  🙂

I'm not able to turn it off, which is really bad for some games.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Hopefully someone will let us know what is going on. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm not able to turn it off, which is really bad for some games.

I am having this problem too. I already made a post about this though. My beam ID is 64. last month downloading games on STEAM while in FAP was between 200-400 kilobytes per second, which is pretty good and has been the normal for years. the last few days in FAP was between 1-100 kilobytes, bouncing back and fourth pretty badly. when I have token data the speed appears to be in good shape, only FAP is slower than normal.

Hi all,

“Web Acceleration Not Supported” is a normal condition.  Hughes continuously updates configuration and technology to maximize user performance.  Web Acceleration technology developed by Hughes accelerates non-secure (HTTP) web browsing by pre-fetching certain content, minimizing the impact of the round-trip delay over the satellite.  However, the vast majority of web content is now secure (HTTPS), so Web Acceleration has no benefit for most web browsing. Hughes is turning down the Web Acceleration components in certain areas to evaluate the performance impact, if any, as part of our normal network maintenance and optimization.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@maratsade wrote:

Thank you. Beam 68 here, and I asked because I thought maybe it was a beam thing, but it appears to be more widespread than that.  

I agree....it seems to be wide spread.  I'm guessing it might be a recent HN program download that may have caused the issue.

Is it affecting your experience at all? I haven't noticed anything different. Everything seems to be working for Danny too. 

@cybercycle1 wrote:

I agree....it seems to be wide spread.  I'm guessing it might be a recent HN program download that may have caused the issue.