Big Windows 10 Update August 2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz

Big Windows 10 Update August 2

Hello!

For the Windows 10 users out there, be aware of this significant update to come August 2. 

Please remember that Windows 10 updates are automatically downloaded and installed to your computer, and you may only schedule when your PC reboots to complete the installation.

So if you notice your data allowance depleting faster than usual on/after August 2, it's due to the Windows 10 update.

Here's how to schedule the post-update reboot so that it does not interrupt you during an inopportune moment:
http://www.howtogeek.com/221903/how-to-schedule-restarts-for-updates-in-windows-10/

For details on what's included in this update, please check this out: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3089869/microsoft-windows/microsofts-big-windows-10-update-laun...

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

92 REPLIES 92
dougpare

Thanks for the detailed response.  But the problem is that when you use up your allowance, the connection is so throttled I often can't even reach step one.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I guess the point is, monitor your rate of usage so that you never FAP in the first place. Secondly, the process illustrated allows you to pre-purchase and stage for use blocks of token data to be automatically used in the event they are needed.
There is no reason to wait until you are already in FAP.
fictitiousexist

It would be cheaper to move to a better location where you don't need Hughes net. They apparently think computers update only once and that's at the beginning of your service.
Great that they didn't provide any solution to the problem but instead provided the same information that kicrosoft gives you. Internet usage is changing. Hughesnet needs to get their crap service improved.
Gokartergo

fictitiousexistence  Get a life.
dougpare

quote = gwalk900 "I guess the point is, monitor your rate of usage so that you never FAP in the first place."  Can't do that if MS downloads updates automatically.  That's the real point.

"Secondly, the process illustrated allows you to pre-purchase and stage for use blocks of token data to be automatically used in the event they are needed.
There is no reason to wait until you are already in FAP."  YOU CAN DO THIS??? WHERE???  I've always wanted this.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Can't do that if MS downloads updates automatically.  That's the real point.

Other than the anniversary update, which was written about for quite some time before it happened, the updates aren't that big, so it's entirely possible.  Nay, entirely doable.  Three W10 PCs here, and even with the anniversary updates on all, still haven't gone over.  Paying attention to usage and data is the "real point". 

YOU CAN DO THIS??? WHERE???  I've always wanted this.
Sign into the dashboard and use "Token Management" or do it through the Status Meter by clicking "Purchase Tokens" on the upper right. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

fictitiousexistence,

You need to knock it off with your disgusting, bigoted comments. This is NO PLACE for such language. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Doug,

See my post above.

This part "transfers" a purchased Token to your Token Bucket:

Click on pictures for larger image

Clicking one of the "purchase" links will cause that denomination of Token to be charged to your bill. It is NOT however ready for use ... it is added to an "available" category.

After clicking "purchase" watch the screen closely. A very brief confirmation screen will appear:

After the confirmation, the number of "available" Tokens will increase by one:

At this point you have been charged for the Token, you "own" the Token, but it has NOT been added to your allowance yet.
In fact it is NEVER added to your Anytime or Bonus Bytes allowance categories. however after "USE" it is added to your "Token Bytes" data bucket (#3 in the first graphic)

In order to release a Token for use we have to click the "use" button:

After you click "use" two things will occur:
The number of "available" Tokens will decrease by one
The value of the Token will be added to your "Token Bucket":

After a short delay, refresh the meter display and the Token data should be visible in your "Token Bucket":

Once in the Token Bucket, it will be automatically used if you run out of Anytime data.

Remember, you potentially have THREE  sources to draw data from:

Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am)

Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am)

Token Bytes Available (used when Anytime Bytes are depleted)

A look at your modems internal SCC (192.168.0.1) clearly shows how much data you have remaining in each of the three categories:

And yes you can stack them up. I currently have 28 GB stored for use:

maratsade

"And yes you can stack them up. I currently have 28 GB stored for use:"

This is so awesome.