HughesNet Community

HughesNet Customers - Look What you're Part Of ....Internet Service to Schools Worldwide

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katie0
Admin

HughesNet Customers - Look What you're Part Of ....Internet Service to Schools Worldwide

http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/07/01/oneweb-launch-deal-called-largest-commercial-rocket-buy-in-hist...
OneWeb aims to beam Wifi
and mobile data service around the world by 2019, reaching homes, businesses,
hospitals, schools, oil rigs, ships, airplanes and trains. It works by
broadcasting a signal to a hotspot that customers can install on their roofs.
10 REPLIES 10
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I read a different article about it last week and was going to post it. Sure is going to be tricky to keep handing off the signal to different satellites as they zoom around the earth.

I'm personally a bit concerned about so many low orbit satellites up there even if only the size of refrigerators. Suppose they will easily burn up upon entry back into the atmosphere though.

Wonder how tricky it will be for higher orbit spacecraft to get through it all.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Armed with fresh Google funding, SpaceX chief executive Elon Musk in January announced a plan to field a 4,000-satellite constellation in low Earth orbit for global Internet service, with initial operations expected within five years.
That's A LOT of hardware flying around up there!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'll just wear my tinfoil hat more often for protection.  🙂

Low ping would be nice, remains to be seen how much load the system(s) will handle.
Alana Lynn Andr

Yeah, however--the very first Space "X" rocket: Blew Up On Launch!! (NOT a very good record to begin with!)
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Alana, that was not their first launch. Here is their launch history with results: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_and_Falcon_Heavy_launches

Was actually their first failure on initial launch.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

This is what we heard last week at the annual HughesNet Summit in Charleston, SC.:

OneWeb promises to bring Internet to the entire planet (SkyNet anyone?).

HughesNet will be building the ground hardware (antennas and modems), and the OneWeb service  will integrate with Jupiter satellites.

The OneWeb service will provide basic, conventional Internet access while Jupiter will handle big downloads and uploads.

Handing connections off from one Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite to another is an already well-known, mature technology used by satellite phones and cell phones, passing connections from one cell tower to another. That's where one of the other partners, Qualcomm, comes in. 

15 million households in the US still do not have high-speed Internet service available. Between them, HughesNet and Brand Ex have perhaps two million customers. There are a lot of potential customers out there, just in the US alone.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Still amazes me the number of LEO satellites being talked about. Adding up both players (OneWeb and Elon Musk) that presently have ambitions it amounts to maybe 5000+. That is a big number although I do realize the space above us is huge.
Will be VERY interesting to see how it plays out. Time for Gwalk's popcorn munching deer.
Alana Lynn Andr

Oh okay--Thank you. I read it wrong--"Brain Goof" I Guess!!
Alana Lynn Andr

Well, I sure hope & pray that the "educational opportunities" will not be utilizing the "common core" curriculum!!!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I agree:

"Time for Gwalk's popcorn munching deer"

awaiting the next exciting chapter .........