cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneWeb Partnership

Highlighted
Employee

OneWeb Partnership

Last summer, Hughes announced its partnership with OneWeb to help bring affordable Internet service to more than one billion households, schools and organizations around the world. The OneWeb service is highly complementary to our mission to bring satellite Internet to unserved and underserved communities throughout the world. The OneWeb system will deploy hundreds of Low Earth Orbiting (LEO) satellites to enable delivery of high quality, low-latency broadband services. To bring this program to life, Hughes will develop the ground systems, including gateways and terminals for OneWeb’s network of LEOs. We are thrilled to be a part of this truly world-changing initiative. Stay tuned as we continue to share information on this amazing project. 

10 REPLIES 10
Honorary Alumnus

Re: OneWeb Partnership

Will this LEO service be available here is the US or will this be primarily aimed at third world developing countries ?

Associate Professor

From the looks of it, the goal of OneWeb is to have a satellite constellation of 720 low orbit satellites, each capable of 6Gbps of bandwidth.  The plan is to have a global network that covers every part of the planet.  The interesting part is, you are not really directed at a single bird...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneWeb_satellite_constellation
Assistant Professor

I would think they would serve any area the satellites are flying over including the US. Seems like a big waste not to have the ones traveling over the US not utilized during their fly over time.

Lori, thanks for the update!
Associate Professor

Oh, you can bet OneWeb will do everything they can to get customers world wide to pay for such a vast fleet...  Hopefully it's not so expensive that they go under...  Wonder what the lifetime of one of those birds will be...
Assistant Professor

Jupiter 2 could very well be the last residential internet stationary satellite that HughesNet puts up if LEO does come online. Most likely why they are investing and providing support.

Good question on life expectancy Charles. Will be a lot less expensive to shoot up replacements though. Said before I sure hope there is a way to burn them up in the atmosphere or something else at the end of life. Talk about a mess if they don't.
Assistant Professor

Double thanks Lori! I just noticed your announcement replaced the very over-lived one about my Champion status. Whoo Hoo!
Honorary Alumnus

Sgoshe,
I have a screen grab if needed Smiley Happy
Employee

These are great questions! For all the technical details, I would visit: http://www.hughes.com/company/news/hughes-announces-partnership-in-onewebs-innovative-global-satelli... 

Looking forward to providing future updates!