Does Hughes perform phone surveys?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Does Hughes perform phone surveys?

A few minutes ago I got a call from someone claiming to be from Hughes.  They asked for me by name, but instead of answering anything further I asked what it was about.  The person said they wanted to ask five questions about my Gen5 service.  I told him, "I'm sorry, I don't know who you are so I'm going to hang up," and did so.  

Perhaps I'm being overly skeptical of calls I receive from companies when I don't expect them, but in this day and age one has to be VERY careful.  Heck, you can't even say the word "yes" if someone asks if they are speaking to you.  

"Hello.  This is so and so with such and such.  Am I speaking with Earl J Flibblehopper?"  "Yes."  And the next thing you know you're 50K in debt for credit cards you never opened and you can't get that new car you were going to buy because your credit is shot, and all because you said the word "yes." 

But, back to the question.  Does Hughes perform phone surveys?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Yes, we do outbound phone surveys. 🙂

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarkJFine
Professor

I think they do, though I've similarly not responded to them.

As you said, I have no way to validate they were who they said they were.

For me, they called several times and the Caller ID never explicitly said Hughes or something recognizable - always came up with some generic number from Arizona (I think).
I generally don't answer those unless I see a number repepated, pick up to see who it is to track it, and even then I will answer with a prompt "don't call again" and hang up.

Way too many pollsters, marketeers and scammers on telephone these days and you can never be too careful.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

I forgot to add, the caller ID did show the number being 866-347-3292, but even today that can't necessarily be relied on to be real.  

The information age has its benefits, but a lot of seedy drawbacks, too, that's for sure.  It's becoming harder and harder to know what to trust.  😞  

My folks occasionally get the "network department" call, but I think I've "trained" them well enough for them to know to just hang up.  Come to think of it, it's been about a year or so since I've gotten one of those calls, so I'm about due.  Man Very Happy

Hi,

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Hi,

If they call again I'll go ahead and take part in the survey.  I'm just very gun shy these days when it comes to unexpected phone calls, so I erred on the side of caution, though a bit prematurely, I admit.   

maratsade

I'm happy to do online surveys that are linked from a company's site, but I never do phone surveys.