Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
57Nomad
New Poster

Hurricane Irma

16 REPLIES 16
57Nomad
New Poster

With Hurricane Irma breathing down our necks, being in Tropical Storm Warning zone by Saturday morning, and under Hurricane Warnings by Saturday afternoon, we here in North Florida will undoubtedly be without power by Sunday morning.  And prior to that, what with the heavy cloud cover, we will be without satellite communication/reception by Saturday afternoon - definitely by Saturday night.  And while the storm will be past us by Monday afternoon, it COULD be weeks before power is restored to somes areas of North Florida (Jacksonville and surrounding area).  Bottom line: Our mainline communication will be either battery powered radio or cell phone for some time to come.  With Hurricane Matthew we were without power for about 12 hours, but this storm is MUCH larger, faster and more dangerous than either Matthew or Andrew.  Texas took a huge hit with all the rain from Harvey and it will take them years to fully recover.  We may not get all the rain like Harvey, but we sure as heck will get a lot of high wind damage.  Gonna miss my internet and DirecTV for awhile.....

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Good luck, and stay safe!!!  These dishes are rated to withstand some high winds, but not hurricane force winds.  If your service is out, it could take some time before an installer can ever get to your location and do a repoint.

Yeah, we could be looking at Cat 1 or Cat 2 - they haven't decided yet..... Dish is located on south end of house, ground level, and that's the way the storm is coming.  Should be an interesting next 3 days.....

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@57Nomad,  stay safe! Dishes can be replaced, lives, not so much.

My setup died once during a microburst.  The pole broke at the base and the whole thing came tumbling down (the dish, even though it had a crack, worked just fine for a few more years after an installer came and set it up on a new pole).

@57Nomad wrote:

With Hurricane Irma breathing down our necks, being in Tropical Storm Warning zone by Saturday morning, and under Hurricane Warnings by Saturday afternoon, we here in North Florida will undoubtedly be without power by Sunday morning.  And prior to that, what with the heavy cloud cover, we will be without satellite communication/reception by Saturday afternoon - definitely by Saturday night. 

It's was an interesting weekend,  Governor Scott ordered a mandantory evacuation for East Hendry County for Friday at 8:00AM, including the area I live in, I having no interest in evacuating over a CAT 3 storm got the shutters up took down the HughsNet antenna and set the genertor to standby.

On Wednesday the EOC went to level 1 (full operation) and the powers to be decided they had everything under control and advised the volunteers (local Ham's) our services would not be needed.

Saturday with the storm bearing down on Hendry, the EOC put out a message seeking volunteers to work Net Control and to staff the shelters, we managed to scrape up 5 bodies, one for Net Control, three for shelters and myself doing storm tracking and forecasting.

The county lucked out as the 800MHz system they relied on for communications failed and we became the counties only form of communications for first responders.

On Monday we began digging out, there's no power out here so ADSL is down Century Link's RT's are DOA and my cellular backup was running at dial-up speeds, I reinstalled my HughsNet antenna and it linked up and has been working flawlessly ever since. 

I have been monitoring our repeaters and taking calls from Hams around Hendry and Lee as to where where gas can be found and have been pushing that information out over our maillist, so yes internet here is a necessity and i am damm glad I signed up with HughesNet as a backup plan a few weeks ago, because without it I would be dead in the water and screwed good as I work from home and need internet to do my job and to help out our community too.

GabeU

I have family that lives in Melbourne, and in a house about 200 feet from the water, at that.  I'm hoping they make it through okay.  

maratsade

Hopefully they're evacuating!

@GabeU wrote:

I have family that lives in Melbourne, and in a house about 200 feet from the water, at that.  I'm hoping they make it through okay.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Hopefully they're evacuating!

The last I knew they hadn't, and weren't planning on doing so.  By the time they decided they were going to, the roads were practically at a standstill and there were no vacancies in any hotels on there originally planned router (to Tennessee).  They're pretty much going to ride it out, as far as I know.  I'm sure I'll know more later.  

My aunt, who is the oldest of the family members that reside in Melbourne, is actually in my area visiting, so that's good.    

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I have family that lives down near the everglades apparently...  They aren't leaving, by the time they decided they wanted to, the roads was too packed to do so... Told them to leave several days ago.

maratsade

@GabeUand @C0RR0SIVE,

This morning, from what I saw on CNN, the roads were pretty good -- at least I95 was.  I guess a lot of people had already left.  Still, there were some gas shortages, and I imagine no place to stay.  I hope everyone who's riding out the storm will come out the other side intact.

maratsade

Some guy on CNN this morning was saying the hurricane will pick up energy going over the Everglades because they're warm water. I hadn't thought of that.

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I have family that lives down near the everglades apparently...  They aren't leaving, by the time they decided they wanted to, the roads was too packed to do so... Told them to leave several days ago.

GabeU

There's a LOT of energy in that very warm water, that's for sure.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Spent 3 years at Patrick AFB in base housing right next to beach. Irma is a monster storm, wish everyone the best possible outcome.  Smiley Sad

maratsade

so it could very well grow back to a 5, right? 

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Yeup, they are like 90% shallow water and grasses/bushes.  

GabeU

Back up to a Category 4.  Ugh.  😞