Hughesnet Community

Least painful way to terminate Hughes Net?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaxsdan

Least painful way to terminate Hughes Net?

I believed! I Tried! I lost the bet! I drank the Cool Aide!
Next to AT&T this has been the worst online experience of my adult life, and I am 76.

They appear to have me by the short and curly’s! It is a minimum of $400 to get out of agreement! I can do it all at once and never have to speak with them again, or I can wait for the $15 per month reduction in termination fee.
Someone mentioned that there was a way you could stop the service, and return equipment, keep the account open and wait the 24 months and close account, without paying early termination fine. Has anyone info on how that works?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

maratsade

"Someone mentioned that there was a way you could stop the service, and return equipment, keep the account open and wait the 24 months and close account, without paying early termination fine."

If your account is OPEN, you will pay a monthly fee, even if you don't use or don't have the equipment. The "someone who mentioned" that you could cheat your way out of paying an ETF was misleading you.

How long have you had this account?

Brooke
Alum

Hello Jaxsdan, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! I'm really sorry you're experience has not been great, but maybe there's still some hope! 

To answer your inquiry about stopping the service, I believe what you're speaking of is suspension. We don't have the customer return the equipment, but it suspends your service and you only pay for the modem (if leased) and taxes. You can do this up to 6 months within a year, but I would not recommend it if you're looking to break your contract, because your contract would pause until your services are reactivated. For example if you had 12 months remaining on your contract, suspended your services for 3 months, then reactivated your services, you'd still have 12 months remaining. 

But like I said, maybe there's still something we can do to better your experience! Can you give me some details of what troubles you're having? Thanks.

-Brooke

Mspsc
Spectator

I have called several times to cancel.
The last call was over an hour long trying to terminate service.
The disconnect rep refused to terminate service.
This company is “ A Nightmare”
The Tech Horrible!!!!
maratsade

You may want to start your own thread, and it'd be better if you placed it under My Account and Billing.  A rep may answer you here, too, but your post may be addressed faster if it's in its own thread under the right section. 

Hello Mspsc, like maratsade said, it's a good idea to start your own thread so we can focus on addressing your concerns without having multiple conversations in one thread. 

Your cooperation is appreciated! 

-Brooke

Brooke
Alum

I haven't heard back from you, Jaxsdan. I hope I was able to answer your inquiries. I'm going to close this thread, but if you need help again, feel free to start a new post. 

Thank you.

-Brooke